• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I overlay an image over an video?

Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

without losing any quality

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @johnjohnjon,

Since you posted your query in After Effects forums, there are two ways you can overlay an image over a video:

1): First Option:

• Open After Effects and import you video and the image you want to overlay.
  • Drag your video on to the new composition button at the bottom of the project panel (creates a new Ae composition with your video's settings)
  • From the project panel, drag your image in the timeline and make sure it rests on top of the video layer, and then scale and position it according to your needs.
  • Render your composition with required settings.

1): 2nd Option:

• Open Adobe Media Encoder
  • Drag your video in the queue
  • Select your format and click on match source
  • Under Effects section, click on image overlay check box
  • Choose the image to overlay
  • Adjust the size, position and opacity
  • Click on ok to accept the settings
  • Specify your render location
  • Press Enter or Click on start queue button to start encoding.

I hope it helps.

-best

Salman.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its saying file isnt supported.If I give you a link to the video could you help me and do it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we need more information. show us some screenshots. specify the exact steps you take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do all the steps and it says error file isnt supported

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of file are you trying to import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just trying to overlay an image on a vid downloaded from YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a full screenshot of the message you are getting when you import. More information. what file type of video, what file type of image? What is the result you want to achieve. More communication here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to learn about after effects.  It ain't no app you can use like a one-trick pony.  You need to learn the basics, AND the arcane AE terminology.

For example, we don't know what you mean by "overlay".  "Overlay" is an After Effects Blend Mode, AE folks know what it means, but I bet you don't have the first clue what an overlay does, and didn't even know that it meant something specific.

Get your basic training here:

After Effects tutorials

...and blow it off at your peril.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look if youre going to be off no help then why are you here with your arrogant self. I explained what issues I was having to the best of my ability and by your pompous response you obviously know what I meant so why be a douche. Since you dont want to help go somewhere else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called you a [rude word removed by moderator] and it didnt post hmm.Any ways this isnt a work/school project so can continue out the door

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just wanted to come in 5 years later to say how dumb this john guy is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnjohnjon  wrote

Just trying to overlay an image on a vid downloaded from YouTube

You're still not providing us any information we can use to help you. Which file isn't importing? What are the specs of that file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video is pixel based. If you want to maintain quality you must line up your new images precisely with the pixel grid and not scale them. This goes for vector files like Illustrator projects imported into AE for animation. If you are scaling up you loose a lot of quality very quickly. If you are scaling down you loose quality more slowly. Sharpening effects can help with highly detailed images that are scaled down but you also have to watch for moray patterns in areas of high detail when you scale down or move images that contain geometric patterns line tile roofs or brick walls.

Most people coming form still image editing or print editing don't really get that video moves and that the only way to judge the quality is to view the final product at full resolution and full speed on the device you intend your audience to use. Real high quality motion design for a standard definition TV screen must be different than design for an HD screen, which also should be different if you intend your audience to watch your film in a theater on a 60' screen.

Simple answer, do not scale your images about about 110% or move the camera closer to a 3D layer than about the zoom value of the camera in the comp. If you have thin lines (one pixel like screen shots from web pages) you must precisely position them in the pixel grid to avoid softening and blurring the thin lines. There is no way around that. If you move detailed images or small text layers you must also be aware of critical speeds that cause judder based on the stroboscopic effects of frame rate, refresh rate, retinal retention of the average human being and the effects of color compression in MPEG formats like MP4, h.264 video (the most common and best format for delivery for most projects).

There is a lot of science that must be complied with in the design of a moving picture shot. It's been that way since movies were invented and I don't see any chance of the rules changing. That's just how our eyes and brains are wired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly more we need to know but I will say, I've occasionally had simple images (like .jpg) imported in and seen a message like that.

Often for no apparent reason.  If you have access to the original image from wherever you got it, downloaded, etc, get the original again.

For example, I've emailed myself a picture, saved it, brought in to AE and received an error.  I then renamed the file, copied and renamed, etc to no avail but then went back and downloaded the same picture again from the original email, saved it, imported it to AE and it worked fine.

I'd try that.  Could very well be one of them "nothing" errors that simply aren't explainable.

I have however seen this a handful of times.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnjohnjon  wrote

Its saying file isn't supported. If I give you a link to the video could you help me and do it

I think the answer is yes but you haven't supplied any link, so we all are in the dark. Premiere Pro may be the better tool for your particular needs than After Effects. Watch the "3. Add titles and graphics" video here: Try basic video editing techniques

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats whats its saying with picture the mp4 wouldnt import so I converted it to wmv

The link to the video is

The Bedroom Best R&B 90's Sexy Love Music - YouTube

The image I want overlayed is

http://xxgasm.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/wife_having-516.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johnjohnjon,

Did you ever figure out how to overlay an image? Please let us know if you found success or if you still need help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No still waiting on a reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johnjohnjon,

Are you still seeing the warning dialog box after importing the image? If so, you may need to transcode it using Adobe Media Encoder. See if you can use the GoPro Cineform codec.

I see the YouTube video and the image, however, the image is only a few pixels tall and wide in dimension. That may be at the heart of the situation.

If that is not your issue, to create any image overlay, do the following:

1. Stack 2 layers
  2. Place the layer you want to overlay at the top of the layer stack
  3. With that layer still selected, press S to reveal the Scale Property
  4. Enter in a desired setting for scale, say, 50%. The overlaid image scales down, revealing the background
  5. Drag the overlaid image to a new position anywhere in the comp
  6. Render the composition

I hope this simple set of steps helps. If not, please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines