• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I replace an Image in a duplicate comp and retain animation keyframes ?

Explorer ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm pretty new to After Effects, not to Adobe, but to After Effects. I'm following this 2017 video to make some social media lower thirds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKL-Ls4eZ34&feature=youtu.be&t=20

Took me some time but all is well as far as following the video and creating the same animation. I've gone up to the point of the text layers and the logos animating from behind the shape masks. I havnt done the last part yet of reversing, looks easy enough.

But what's troubling me is the part of the video where he replaces the Twitter icon with a Facebook icon. In my particular case I created a Facebook via his instuctions and now I'm wanting to duplicate the comp and change out my Facebook icon with an Instagram icon. I'm not finding this to be easy though. Everything I read and look at which tends to range from 2016 to 2018 information(I might of stumbled on one 2019 video but still didnt help) says that a global change can be done by replacing the footage in the project panel using right-click> replace footage, but a instance change in a duplicate comp for example can be done by selecting the layer with the image to be changed in the layer panel and also selecting the new image in the project panel, alt-click the new image and drag it over the layer that has the image to be replaced in the layers panel.

This doesnt seem to be working for me, I already in preparation for the project resized the different icons I'm going to use to be the same size(1000X1000). When I do this alt-click and drag over the layer the new image doesnt come in at the same resize that I set the first image, it appears to just come in full size above the first icon instead of replacing it in that comp.

Can someone explain to me the right way to do this so that I have a duplicate comp, same animations that were set in the first, but swap out the first logo with a second logo ? The text change has been easy enough the image swap is what's bugging me. If you take a peek at the video attached is the fact that the image is in a precomp a complicating factor ?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI

Make sure the layer to be replaced is selected before using alt-click rto drag the new image onto the layer. Otherwise it just makes a new layer.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines