Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add an effect to a moving object in video using motion tracker

New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the context:

I have a shaking video with a face. I motion-tracked the face (to add an effect to some parts of it, which are moving). After I motion-tracked it, I created a null object to use it as a moving guide for my adjustment layer to which I applied all the effects (because I can't apply effects to the null object). So it goes like:

---the video (with a moving face)

---null object (with the motion tracker's positions)

---an adjustment layer (with the effects, connected to the null object)

What I need: effect (with two and more properties) following the movement of the video in 2d.

P.s I already have a first frame done but the effects aren't moving with the face

Unfortunately, nothing's working

Can you please help me?

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Your workflow does not make much sense, TBH. Bulge and Smear have an internal position control and adjustment layers don't work like you seem to think, anyway. Ergo the proper way to proceed is to apply the tracking directly to the effects's position controls on a comp sized layer.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using point tracking I would create the null object before tracking. So you'd have the layer to be tracked on layer 2 and the null object on layer 1. Track the layer with the tracker panel and make sure that the motion target is set for null. Click OK after tracking. The null should follow the shaky footage. Then create your adjustment layer and apply your effects. With parenting have your adjustment layer be the child layer of the null.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, didn't work either.

---an adjustment layer

---the video

---null object

Some more info: the effects are Bulge and CC Smear

P.s I can make the adjustment layer move as the tracking point, although the effects applied to the layer are staying at the same spot. I tried to connect Transform effect (on the Adj layer) with the tracking point of null, but it makes the whole video with the face move. 

I'm sure it's easy to make, but I just didn't figure out how to do it yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just found the answer to how to connect the effect to the tracking point thanks to Mylenium, if you're interested - take a look at his comment.

Thanks for your time, in fact, it wasn't that complicated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your workflow does not make much sense, TBH. Bulge and Smear have an internal position control and adjustment layers don't work like you seem to think, anyway. Ergo the proper way to proceed is to apply the tracking directly to the effects's position controls on a comp sized layer.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much. I just tracked three different points, applied all the effects to the video footage. Then used the tracking points as positions for the effects by pressing alt+left click (did it for bulge effects). As for the Smear effect which has two positions (from and to), I just alt+lc and typed + [10,10] (to adjust everything). It's working!

Thank you! You're my savior

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines