• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create smoke using After Effects?

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an after effects beginner and I am trying to animate smoke rising from a smoke stack like this.  I assumed this incorportates the wiggle effect and I'm not sure what else.  If someone knows how to acheive this effect like the smoke in the image, please let me know! It would be much appreciated.Smoke Effect.PNG

Title edited by Mod

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

How much control do you need over these? Do they basically just need to rise and have a little wobble to them?
We can use some of the cooler features of shape layers to do this totally procedurally, which should make it easy to dial in the look.

1. With no layers selected, use the ellipse tool to draw an oval. You'll probably want it high-ish in your comp.

2. Twirl open your shape layer so you can see everything.

3. To the right is a little flyout menu that says Add - add a Repeater and then Wiggl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much control do you need over these? Do they basically just need to rise and have a little wobble to them?
We can use some of the cooler features of shape layers to do this totally procedurally, which should make it easy to dial in the look.

1. With no layers selected, use the ellipse tool to draw an oval. You'll probably want it high-ish in your comp.

2. Twirl open your shape layer so you can see everything.

3. To the right is a little flyout menu that says Add - add a Repeater and then Wiggle Transform.

4. Set the Copies to maybe 40 or so, and then open the Transform: Repeater 1 and adjust the Position to something like 0, 20. You should now have a long, vertical line of your oval, densely packed.

5. Open up the Wiggle Transform (this should be below the Repeater - this will make it treat all these repeated copies like discrete shapes!) Let's turn down the Wiggles per Second to something like .2, and Correlation to 0. (You won't see anything really happen yet). Like the Repeater, you need to make adjustments within the Transform twirl-down within the Wiggle Transform. Tweak the X position a bit until the column gets wider and more random - probably about 100. The more properties you change within this little Transform group, the more variation you'll get in your smoke column.

6. If your smoke needs to rise, I would just do that with some Position keyframes on the layer itself. 

7. All of the above are just ballpark values, so tweak until you get the exact look you're after! For the second column, duplicate the layer, and then you can probably just change the Random Seed within the Wiggle Transform to get a different variation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. @Kyle_Hamrick has mentioned all the steps correctly. In addition to the information shared, you can also take a look at this blog where the steps to create real smoke are shared.

Check it out: https://blogs.adobe.com/contentcorner/2015/03/25/how-to-create-a-realistic-smoke-effect-in-after-eff...

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The link that @Shivangi_Gupta posted is no longer active.

Is it possible to get another shared example of some real smoke? 
Thanks / Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines