• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fill masked layer with any color?

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have a layer that I've tracked and masked with Mocha. This video layer is masked. How I can fill this layer with the color (white for example) so it will affect only this layer? Solid fill layer fils whole frame. I was looking for matching effect that could be the best solution but cannot find it... Does AE have effect that will work just like solid fill? I need to animate that overlapping color transparency as well.

The effect must work just like clipping mask in Photoshop when solid color clipped to under layer.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you could apply the Fill effect to your layer, then use the effect's Compositing Options to apply that mask to the effect.

Make the mask.
Add the effect.
Click this little plus sign.
If you have multiple masks just choose the correct one(s).

effect mask.JPG

You you need blending options, you could use another effect, CC Composite, also using that same mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you could apply the Fill effect to your layer, then use the effect's Compositing Options to apply that mask to the effect.

Make the mask.
Add the effect.
Click this little plus sign.
If you have multiple masks just choose the correct one(s).

effect mask.JPG

You you need blending options, you could use another effect, CC Composite, also using that same mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fill effect does not work properly. It's opacity affect whole layer opacity, not only this effect. So when I need to animate opacity from 0 to 100, I don't see source layer at 0 opacity. I just don't see the layer at all at 0 opacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, but directly below the thing I pointed out, under those effect Compositing Options, is a stopwatch for Effect Opacity...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kyle. Thank you very much! Really, I just did not notice that effect has 2 different opacity properties!))) I've solved my trouble using Levels effect and adjusting color channels because tried Fill and even could not imagine it has 2 different opacities lol. Thanks again, that's exactly what I need!

Maybe you know how to do the same but with inserting image, not color? (:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're inserting an image, you would then be wanting to use the mask for its more traditional job as a way to trim/cut away from your layers. You could set the mask to Subtract and place your image below that layer. Alternatively, you could apply the mask to your image layer (if it has different dimensions, that involves some other hurdles). If you're looking for the image to respect the tracking, effects like Corner Pin will be your friend.

If you're looking for some more specific input on your exact project, we'd need to see some screenshots to really understand what you're working on, as Rick suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use more than one layer. If your tracked layer has transparency then you could use it as a track matte. You can also select compositing options if you have a newer version of AE and everything on one layer. There is an option to use masks in the Fill effect. If you are using corner pin the fill would work above or below.

The problem with offering a solution is that we don't understand your workflow. We don't understand the way you layered the project. If you track and mask a layer in Mocha you usually end up with a layer that has transparency in your comp. You can do anything you want with that layer. If you just want to fill the masked area and see the rest of the video then you can turn off the mask and tell fill to use only the mask. Any of these solutions are readily available by using the search help field in the upper right corner of AE.

If the problem is more complex than that we need a screenshot with the modified properties of all layers that are giving you problems revealed. Just select the layers, press U twice, Printscreen and paste to the forum or drag a screenshot to the reply field and we can help. An accurate workflow description would also help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines