• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import a gif to after effects?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to edit a gif in after effects, but when I try to import it I get an error that says this gif is damaged or unsupported. I googled my error, but didn't get anything.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

First of all, sharing a link to a file on your desktop isn't going to help since we don't have access to your desktop.

Secondly, the usual workflow is to go from a video file in AE and then take the resulting file into Photoshop to turn it into a GIF.

GIF is a terrible format to export anything in unless it's at the final step. It is not a good intermediate file type. TIFF would be better. Heck, even a high quality JPEG would be better.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok its working in AE now! thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It imports fine, but the transparent background is replaced with plain white. I tried using a linear color key to remove the white, but it also removed the other white parts of my gif. What is the issue? Is it something with the formatting of the gif?

Also, yes.

GIFs don't technically have transparency. They just tag a particular color as the one to not be seen. It's an old and janky workaround from the early days of the web.

Roei's suggestion will work, but it is frustrating the AE doesn't handle GIFs the way Photoshop does. You could fine a feature request to change that though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there!

You can export your Gif file as video from Photoshop and use that video file in After effects

example: Import your Gif to Photoshop and export as video (i.e., file>export>Render video).

And finally you can use that video in the aftereffects. Repeat the video, expand the length by duplicating layers and putting it side by side in Aftereffects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

for anyone looking for a simple answer and not a lecture about fidelity- you need to import gifs using the file menu, its only dragging and dropping them into the project window that throws

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines