• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import SVG into Ae

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find a way to get SVG images into my composition. EPS is just drag and drop but SVG... I can't through any route.

I must be missing something.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Wow. SVG not supported in 2016's Ae CC... Pretty crazy.

Thanks for the info though.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type supported file types in the search help field or type SVG in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and you'll come up with this: Still image file formats

Best option is to open in Illustrator and save as an AI file. Some limited types of SVG may work but generally it is not a supported format for video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. SVG not supported in 2016's Ae CC... Pretty crazy.

Thanks for the info though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG for the most part is an HTML description of a graphic. It's not vectors, it's not pixels so it's not surprising to me that the AE team has not spent much time implementing that format while they are completely rewriting the rendering pipeline. I'd much rather have faster renders than SVG support at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that Rick Gerard does not have any SVG files he needs to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The V in SVG stands for Vector. Scaleable Vector Graphics. "It's vectors".

The fileformat is based on XML.

It is somewhat embarassing that AE is not supporting this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One should not advocte compnay for no genuine reason 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG not supported in 2016's Ae CC... Pretty crazy.

There's nothing crazy about it. SVG is an XML file type that does not contain persistent data, only descriptions of how to draw elements. AE simply has no such rendering engine nor do I see any need for it on a personal level, given how AE works in general.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But we are acknowledging here that the easy solution is to simply import the SVG into Illustrator, another adobe product, which is fully capable of handling the file type. Given that, I don't understand why an SVG can't be imported into AE directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's a feature request then start here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form - Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that, I don't understand why an SVG can't be imported into AE directly.

I'm sure someone has been considering it for 5 seconds, but quite frankly it probably doesn't make much sense. SVG is by its nature a complex format that can be so much more than just a bunch of vector shapes and ultimately that's wht most likely is the problem. SVGs can reference external data, have parametric definitions of entities, include scripts, support multiple color modes, contain mebedded pixel data. Getting this to open in any motion graphics app in a useful manner may not be as trivial as it sounds. While certainly there's room to create something that would open "plain" SVGs with just a single artboard and no fancies, a lot of the rest is asking for trouble and probably not worth the effort as long as everybody has a copy of Illustrator, which is assumed to be a given for CC customers...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing SVG to Ae would be nice. If you don't mind instead of an SVG, having a pixel PNG copy of your SVG - you can drag an SVG right into Ae's project/composition/timeline panels from the library's panel and have the PNG copy right on the fly. if you need it to be vector later, you could replace it with it's full power vector converted to .Ai version Which you will have to use illustrator for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One piece of software can't possibly be designed to handle every possible scenario, particularly when an easy solution already exists in a companion program. If it's such a simple feature to implement, as your post implies, feel free to create a 3rd-party script solution that lets users easily import svg graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if you don't see any need for it, there's obviously no need for it. Right? There's nothing outside of your sphere of understanding. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's such a basic, obvious functionality that should be integrated... a vector file in an animation program. 

It's fun reading this thread in an era where user research is king... Users begging for a basic need and adobe community pros saying "No you're wrong this program is perfect." Glad to have landed here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the questions would be how many users want to be able to import SVG. If it isn't a common workflow for AE users then it probably isn't worth the time to add it to the application. Usually the vector files that I work with are AI or EPS and from my experience that is a pretty satandard file type to get vector graphics for AE in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arguably the hottest, most powerful web animation format in 2022 is AirBnB's LottieJS. Fast, small and originally built on top of After Effects, it's potentially a whole new user base for AE. The Lottie file format is a 'JSON-ized' version of SVG.

Since it was first designed in 2014, there are now 8 or 10 other animation platforms that can produce Lottie files. Personally, I now avoid AE as my first choice Lottie animator for exactly the reason it can't do something as simple as import a simple SVG.

I've got no dog in the fight, or axes to grind. Just a bit shocked that SVG import hasn't made it into updates. AE has some high-end abilities, but missing basic importing, I'll head back to what I was using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the replay and good choice you made!
And unfortunately they dont care at Adobe.
Since this post is more then 6 Years old by now and they did nothing about it.
Just another big company grinding money and not care about basic stuff that should be possible 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you can't just drag and drop it into After Effects, and loading Illustrator can be tedious, if you are on a Mac you might like converting the svg with a right click from the finder.

Add a ”SVG to EPS Converter” Service to your context menu (Right-Click Menu) in macOS/Mac OS X (Test...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that when AE is not behaving the way I'd like, banging my head into wall helps.

Pick the spot with care though, depending on how hard headed you are you might damage the wall.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe how backwards Adobe is, so looking forward to drop CC asap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Non-AI solution. Get Adobe XD, which is free right now, import your SVG. Then just go to File -> Export -> Export to After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works a charm. Thanks, Fudge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the best solution. Although I have to say, @Shweta23, I think it's not smart that AE still doesn't support .SVG, given how pervasive the format is among designers. This is 2020 – time for AE to catch up to the times! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are totaly right!

Adobe Please come one... SVG is a common Webimg extensoin. i like to work with SVG because it just includes points and collor information... and it is resizeable wirthout loosing any quality and the filesize is in comparisson to other high quality files absolutely breathtaking...

I wanted to quick import massiv svg objects to animate them in after effects by bézier curve and points.. but hey now i have to get an solution that makes my workflow feels much unconvortable... sometimes to work with multiple adobe products feels like you have bee's in your butt.....

Some of your products can handle svg... please be consequent and consistent in what you are dooing... it is allready realy annoying that the hotkeys are always different when you are working with photoshop, adobe premiere pro, after effects and audition... i guess your products grow to big to fast.

Anyway... hope there will be some changes in 2021 or 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines