Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make an arrow follow a wave's end point

Engaged ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I want to create a wavy arrow. I created one wave using a script. I wanted to attach the arrowhead at the endpoint of the wave by parenting, but that didn't work. The arrowhead could not sync with the rhythm of the wave, it gets dislodged. I came to know I have to attach the arrowhead using some special math. Sin expression. But no way I could find one on google that can show/teach me how to attach something at the endpoint of a wave using math. sin expression! There are other examples of this expression but those didn't serve my purpose.

Can anyone tell me please what particular math sin expression in AE I have to use to get it done? Or at least can guide me on how can I do it?  I have attached the sample. Thank you.

Sample of what I wantSample of what I wantMy Failed attempt to create one :(My Failed attempt to create one 😞

arrow path 3.gif

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mAmp=50; //amplitude

mMul=2; //phase multiplier

mOff=0.5; //phase offset

X=value[0];

Y=Math.sin(time*mMul+mOff)/Math.PI*mAmp;

[X,Y]

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. Can you please tell me a bit more, I have to use this expression on which property of arrowhead. position or rotation? Please? 🙈 where, how do I have to use it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This goes into the position. For rotation you would modify it due to the different value ranges.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sooooo much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mylenium It didnt work. 😥😢 My arrow becomes invisible after applying the expression. (attached).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You applied it to the shape layer's position, not the shape group of your arrowhead. That and of course you may need to adapt the values in the expression. Also start by actually creating your shapes in a predictable manner by zeroing out their values so they appear in the center of the comp. It's key to not fall into these traps and, no offense, a problem with many of your questions. You just randomly draw stuff somewhere in the comp and then wonder why it appears out of whack.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

😢 ðŸ˜ž 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines