• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to mask an effect on a solid layer?

Participant ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if my grammar isn't the best, but I am struggling on how I put this.  So I have an effect applied to a solid layer which is set to the screen mode blend.  Now I have to mask the effect behind my main character, and doing a simple mask didn't really do the trick and I haven't found anything on google.  So how do I get this to work? Let me know if you have any questions especially since I am sure I didn't if I word this right.Capture.PNGI want the lightsaber to be behind the character in the middle.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

It sounds like you are most of the way there. Like you, I applied the Saber effect to a Solid that has a Screen blend mode. I then applied a mask to the area of the solid that I wanted to hide and set the mask mode to Subtract.

Within the Saber effect it is important to change the Render Settings Alpha Mode to Mask Core. This will hide the beam but still allow the glow to overlap the area that was masked.

capture-01.jpg

capture-02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are most of the way there. Like you, I applied the Saber effect to a Solid that has a Screen blend mode. I then applied a mask to the area of the solid that I wanted to hide and set the mask mode to Subtract.

Within the Saber effect it is important to change the Render Settings Alpha Mode to Mask Core. This will hide the beam but still allow the glow to overlap the area that was masked.

capture-01.jpg

capture-02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked! Thank you so much!  I can't believe it was that simple all along.  I also really like that photo you have in the after effects project looks good.  Thanks again I really appreciate that!  Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great to hear it worked. Thanks for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines