• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to place my layer mask behing .png image?

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working on masking a png image of a spatula behind an image of egg. Even if I move my spatula layer below the egg, it won't be behind the egg.

What to do to bring the egg layer in front of the spatula?

thank you,

melanie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, give us a screenshot please!? Strange because when a layer is on top of another, always is show in front, like Photoshop. Unless it's 3D layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidarbora and @Lucas, thanks for your responses! It might be why! Those are 3D layers, there is a spotlight casting a shadow on both objects. Both objects have transparency.

I am not sure what I did but it ended up working. Can we bring 3D objects in front of each other usually? I am trying to understand for next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can adjust the Z position. Another easy way: Go to cameras and choose "Top" when you select a 3D layer, the interface show XYZ axis, just drag to front, like a 3D space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often times when you have 3D layers and you want one directly in front of the other, you'll have to move the Z position of one of those layers back or forth a single pixel. It's very important to pay attention to intersections, though. If you have any rotation, or if motion blur is turned on, 1 pixel often isn't enough. If you're using motion blur it's important to preview the comp with it turned on before exporting to see these kinds of things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are working with 3D layers you are working only in two dimmensions X and Y. So every tyme when you change layer order in timeline panel (example A) but when you are working in 3D your layers have 3 dimensions X, Y and Z so when your f.eg. your 1 is 10 pixels in fornt of layer 2 changing layer order in timeline will not change anything. If you need your layer 2 to be in front of A you have to move that layer in Z space in front of layer 1 (example B).

1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your egg have an alpha channel, i.e. is there also some transparency behind that? As Lucas said, please post a screenshot of your entire interface so we can see all the controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines