Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to update Illustrator file in Ae when reload footage is not working

Engaged ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Initially inspired I started creating a simple animation, and later I incorporated some other graphical elements in my drawing. I saved the illustrator file with new layers. I want them to appear in my animation in AE after reloading the footage, It does not work. no new layers were seen in AE which I create later in AI.

I imported my AI file as 'Composition- Retain layer sizes'. Is there any way I can bring those new layers in AE?

Thank you.

graph of tutor.gif

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

You have to import the file again, add the layers manually, then do a File --> Dependencies --> Consolidate Project to remove the imported duplicates. AE references the absolute path to the layer and unfortunately the AI and PSD file formats are kind of dumb, too, not making their layer structures and names in any way persistently trackable, so we've been stuck with this problem for the last 25 years. You have to get used to it.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to import the file again, add the layers manually, then do a File --> Dependencies --> Consolidate Project to remove the imported duplicates. AE references the absolute path to the layer and unfortunately the AI and PSD file formats are kind of dumb, too, not making their layer structures and names in any way persistently trackable, so we've been stuck with this problem for the last 25 years. You have to get used to it.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after  File --> Dependencies --> Consolidate,   this- Should I delete the newly created comp and the old folder where the previous layers were stored? Or they will stay on the project panel? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, feel free to delete any redundant comps created by the import.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines