• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import AE Comp into AE not working

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I dreamt it I am sure that I used to be able to use File> Import> File to choose another AE project and have a dialogue box come up allowing me to choose whichever comp I wanted to import from that file. Currently the whole project imports with no options. 
Also the Collect seems to be broken - not allowing to collect just the 'for selected comps' - instead just collecting the whole project.
Anyone experiencing this?
Cheers
Dave

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

another solution, you can duplicate the project you want to import then open it in AE and select the comps you want then go to File/dependencies/reduce project, so here AE will delete everything and keep the comp you want. now you can collect the project and import it inside the main project you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Can you select Reduce Project and then complete the process once? The resultant project will contain only one comp that you have selected.

Let me know if that works.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Are you using After Effects 18.1? FAQ: How to find the exact version of After Effect... - Adobe Support Community

I used to be able to use File> Import> File to choose another AE project and have a dialogue box come up allowing me to choose whichever comp I wanted to import from that file. Currently the whole project imports with no options.

As far as I remember, that's how it is. File > Import > File creates a folder that contains all the comps from the imported After Effects project file. However, if you import a Premiere Pro project, you get an option to choose the sequence(s) that you want to import.

Also the Collect seems to be broken - not allowing to collect just the 'for selected comps' - instead just collecting the whole project.

I tested this functionality in After Effects 18.1, 18.0, and 17.7 and it seems to work fine. If you haven't selected any comps in the Project panel, the option "For Selected Comps" remains grayed out.

If you're doing it differently, let me know. I'll be happy to take another look. 

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rameez, Thanks for the reply. So maybe I have it wrong about the comp import for AE from another AE file. Yes it brings in the whole project from which you can delete what you don't need. In Premiere you do get the choice of which comp to import. It would be nice to have the same in both but maybe for the future. 
The collect is a bit odd for me though. As you can see in the images I have chosen just one comp but AE still collects all of the project. You can see the "will be collected" amount doesn't change a lot even though that comp is tiny between the two options.
Cheers
Dave

AE All Comps.jpgAE Selected.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another solution, you can duplicate the project you want to import then open it in AE and select the comps you want then go to File/dependencies/reduce project, so here AE will delete everything and keep the comp you want. now you can collect the project and import it inside the main project you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks OussK - That will work nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select Reduce Project and then complete the process once? The resultant project will contain only one comp that you have selected.

Let me know if that works.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rameez - That works as an option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for letting me know.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines