• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Maya Camera to After Effects

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the biggest problems that I have had with After Effects is to import cameras and locators to After Effects from other software like Maya. I'm sure this is easy in C4D, but I am just not using that application. There is an extension called Autodesk Maya Live Link that I have used over the past years, but it is pain to use and it doesn't seem to work with After Effects 2021.

Is there any other way that I can import a camera into After Effects? Maybe FBX, OBJ, JSON, or something else other than this crappy extension that doesn't work most of the time.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE used to be able to import .ma files, but it used to be just as unreliable due to how Maya kept messing with transform and camera data. I suppose therefore the only real answer here is to make an intermediate app like SynthEyes part of your plan which can open many 3D formats and spit out data for compositing tools...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my Maya days we rendered RPF sequences. Then when you have the rendered sequence inside your comp you can access the camera via Animation < Keyframe Assistant > RPF Camera Import. But not sure if that work these days. We use Cinema 4D since 2012.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any updates on this topic?
Maya live link doesn't even install in the newest version of After Effects anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this for PC:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Maya/comments/n5aut7/comment/hr59wpi/

tell me if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines