• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing bit depth bug CC2020

New Here ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest release of AE (17.0.6) and I've noticed that After Effects erroneously labels imported files of 10 or 12 bit depth as having "millions of colors" instead of "trillions of colors". With the same files being imported, build 16.1.3 correctly labels them as "trillions of colors".

Is this a simple mislabel, or does this mean the current version of AE is actually importing these files as if they were 8 bit, and thus degrading the quality?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be more specific what files you're actually importing, where they were generated and so on. Some of that stuff is dependent on metadata and the automated footage interpretation rules, so something could have changed there.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, I was importing 25fps 3.2k Prores 4444 files from Arri Amira (two different individual cameras from two different shoots, in fact) and 25fps UHD Prores 4444 XQ files from DJI Inspire 2. These are raw files straight from the cameras.

On further investigation, I've found that this bug does not replicate when the footage is Prores HQ from the same Arri Amira. So perhaps this problem only applies to Prores 444.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

I noticed that bug too. When I i'm importing these types of files:

mov ProRes 4444 10bit

mov ProRes 4444 XQ 10bit

mp4 HEVC 444 10bit/16bit

Adobe After Effects interprets them as 8bit and shows Millions of colors instead of Trillions and unwanted banding appears.

ae_Prores_4444.png

ae_Prores_4444_render_settings.png

ffprobe_Prores_4444.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a major bug!

when exporting a prores4444 files with Trillions of colors turned on in export (16bit project setting), the files is detected as Millions of colors.  The banding is impossible to work with.  The 2019 version don't have this bug so that is the only workarounc for now.

Note: This bug is the windows version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested AE 17.1.4  (build 37)  running on windows 10 without any luck.

Importing prores 4444 files that are saved in Trillions of colors are still imported as millions.

This degrade the footage alot.

Workaround for now is going back to AE 2019.

Best regards,

Jakob Eriksen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe after Effects October 2020 release (version 17.5) windows still imports Prores4444 "Trillions of colors" as "millions of colors" :-((

The Adobe has recreated the problem, but there has been no fix for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From my tests it's just the label.

On 2020 every 4444 is millions, and every 422 trillions.

On 2019 every 422/4444 is trillions
In both cases Regardless of the data inside

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines