• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to disable clips from snapping to the cursor?

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to disable clips from snapping to the cursor? Often times I move clips around and want them to snap to each other but if the cursor is nearby they want to snap to it instead. I then have to move the cursor for it to snap properly to the clip. I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds this very annoying.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure this is off

Jqke_0-1662773135052.png

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no cursor in the timeline. There is a CTI - Current Time Indicator. Holding down Shift will cause the in or out-point of a layer to snap to the CTI or the nearest Marker, Keyframe, or Layer In or Out point. The Snapping switch in the Toolbar has nothing to do with snapping in the timeline. It controls Anchor Point snapping and layer position snapping in the Composition Panel. If you do not hold down Shift, there should be no Snapping in the Timeline panel. If your system is snapping without holding down Shift try resetting your preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I mistakingly called the CTI a cursor. My bad. That still doesn't answer my question and I'm not sure you are following me. Am I the only one that has a problem with clips snapping to the CTI instead of the clips when the CTI is too close to the clips I'm trying to snap to? This has got to be the most annoying thing on earth when trying to edit. Is there a way to keep the clip I'm trying to move from snapping to the CTI, and only snap to the clip??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the layer or a keyframe snaps to the CTI, then the shift key is being held down. No shift key = no snapping.  If your system is snapping without holding down the shift key, try resetting your preferences. 

Layer in and out points will always snap to the start of the nearest frame. You should get two snaps if the CTI is one or two frames away from a layer's in or out point. If there is a visible keyframe in the timeline and the three are close together, you should get 3 snaps. Here is the normal behavior.

RickGerard_0-1663628737524.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick is right. I tried to test it and for some reason, I thought it did enable snapping in the timeline😅 Timeline snapping does only occur when holding shift.

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines