• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to open a composition at a specific time from the timeline?

Participant ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm trying to match what is happening in a main composition to a precomp inside, but i'm finding it difficult to match it up. For example:

If i'm at 23s 12 frames in the main composion and the precomp starts at 12s 16 frames, if i want something to happen inside the precomp at 23s 12, currently i have to guess or do 23s 12 frames minus 12s 16 frames which is a bit of a pain.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks

TOPICS
FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Unless you're using time remapping on the precomp layer, your comps should stay in synchronised time, so long as you have that option selected in Preferences > General.

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 8.40.28 pm.png

If that doesn't do what you need it to, try putting a solid layer at the top of the stack in your Precomp.  Apply the Effects > Time > Timecode effect, and set the time source to Composition.  Push it into a corner where it won't obstruct your work.  

Now you'll be able to see the timecode of the precomp whilst working in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Preferences and check about halfway down the list in the General settings to ensure that "Synchronize Time Of All Related Items" is checked.  The keyboard shortcut for Preferences is Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + ;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you're using time remapping on the precomp layer, your comps should stay in synchronised time, so long as you have that option selected in Preferences > General.

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 8.40.28 pm.png

If that doesn't do what you need it to, try putting a solid layer at the top of the stack in your Precomp.  Apply the Effects > Time > Timecode effect, and set the time source to Composition.  Push it into a corner where it won't obstruct your work.  

Now you'll be able to see the timecode of the precomp whilst working in the main comp. Just remember to turn it off before rendering.  (Making it a guide layer will prevent you seeing it in the main comp.)

Edit:  As usual, Rick beat me to it!  🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks guys! I already had the option on. I didn't realise it went to the time when you opened up the composition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines