Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeping old version of Adobe After Effects when updating to new

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

When updating Adobe After Effects to the latest version is it possible to keep the old version on the computer at the same time without having to reinstall?

\You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to use the Creative Cloud app to install all available versions of all Creative Cloud apps. You have to pay attention to the interface when upgrading to make sure previous versions are not erased. You can also install previous versions of any current release by clicking on the three dots to the right of the app name and choosing an earlier version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I know this. I'm trying to do an update without having lose my previous version because I'm trying to elevate reinstalling it from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Adobe CC application manager, go to Preferences, click on the Apps tab in the let column, find After Effects and uncheck the "Remove Older Versions" checkbox.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.06.52 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 1.jpg

Hello Andrew,

As you can see from my screenshot, after clicking on the "Apps" tab in the let column, there is After Effects app or any other app, so I am unable to uncheck the "Remove Older Versions" checkbox.

I don't know if working on a MAC has anything to do with it, but I'm using the latest Adobe CC application manager (version 5.6.0.788.2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annoyingly, the options in my post above are only available if you turn on Auto Update.

If you don't want to use Auto Update, you have to manually choose to retain older versions each time you update.  Click on the blue Update button for each available application update, and then select the checkboxes appropriate.

Note - you can't use the Update All button, you have to do the updates one by one.  If you use Update All you won't get the option to save older versions. 

It's quite a clumsy setup - there should just be a universal preference to select - but it is what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. I was able to succeed execute it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines