Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linear colour / opencolorIO

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo friends,

I am working on very small project, but needs to be given to videographer in certain way. I used to be usually nuke user (haha sorry!).

I'm planning to use opencolorIO because from what I read the built in CM system has some flaws, and opencolorIO has been a solid system for years.

Is it possible to work in linearize color space (but choosing working space 'none' or off)? Should I check 'blend using 1.0 gamma', as in will this force all operations to be in linear space? If not, how can I turn the CM system off and still work in linear?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

So my question then still persist - how do i set ae to work in linear but with setting working space to 'none'?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be very helpful to know your delivery specifications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linear blending only applies to 32bpc mode, so it may be totally irrelevant to begin with. Impossible to know anything without any idea about the required output, footage used, required treatments and al lthat good stuff.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry yes im working in 32bpc. Do you mean to say any calculations in 32bpc are treated as linear in AE?

Input formats - alexa LogC, sRGB matte paintings, EXRs

Output format - ideally back to LogC (but pending, might be linear delivery)

I do need to composite in linear space, so that's not in question. But going back to the question, setting working space to none, is there any way to force AE to work in linear space?

Thank you for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE works linearly in 32bpc mode when you use linear blending since this also bypasses any built-in Gamma in effects that support 32bpc, which of course not all of them do. That's pretty much the real caveat here. For everything else you use the color profile converter effect etc. with respective LUTs/ profiles.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm maybe I not explaining my question thoroughly..

opencolorIO requires you to turn off ae's built-in CMS (no color working space, no display management, no CMS output), but also to work in linear space. I think where i'm unsure is the project settings dialogue. When you select 'none' for working space, it greys out linearise - do I understand you correctly that it doesn't matter -> that turning off the CMS still means all 'normal' operations which work in linear will continue to do so?

There's a curious 'blend colors using 1.0 gamma' which has even more confusing information, which does not grey out.

thanks again ragazzi for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE is not natively linear. You explicitly have to enable those linear Gamma options. Setting the working space to "none" is how AE has always worked by default - no color profiles being applied to the pixel operations themselves, standard sRGB color range, no monitor profiles.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my question then still persist - how do i set ae to work in linear but with setting working space to 'none'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

see if this tutorial on color managed workflow in After Effects helps. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHY5rMnBUz8&lc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines