Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for a specific effect

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hv on Instagram: “This feeling i hold on to”

I would like to know how to get the drawing effect the editor used in their video.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

My guess is that the pencil-sketch look of the images here are done mostly by hand.

The base component of each is moving footage, and in one or two cases a still image.  The designer has reduced/posterized the frame rate of the moving shots.  Then the frames have been drawn over by hand, either digitally (in Photoshop or Illustrator, perhaps) or on actual paper, then scanned.  In some cases there is only one hand drawn sketch (such as the couple kissing) and in others there's three or four diffe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that the pencil-sketch look of the images here are done mostly by hand.

The base component of each is moving footage, and in one or two cases a still image.  The designer has reduced/posterized the frame rate of the moving shots.  Then the frames have been drawn over by hand, either digitally (in Photoshop or Illustrator, perhaps) or on actual paper, then scanned.  In some cases there is only one hand drawn sketch (such as the couple kissing) and in others there's three or four different hand sketched frames that are shown sequentially.

All in all I find the short clip rather cluttered and messy, although some of the underlying techniques are nice. 

Here's a music video I made ten years ago that has a lot of hand drawn pencil sketch in it.  I scanned actual pencil sketches and then cut out all the layered components in Photoshop, before animating in After Effects.

Your example reminds me of an old 80s music video for the song "Take On Me".  The hand drawn elements have the same vibe, although it was made long before After Effects was a thing.  It was made in an expensive hardware video tool called Quantel PaintBox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ooooh, a Paintbox!  Good stuff.  You had one of those, a CMX and a digital video deck and you had the world!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines