• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

loopOut expression, getting black frame no matter what.

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pre-comp nested in my main comp that i'd like to loop.
I enabled Time Remapping, went to the last keyframe, moved back one frame and made a new keyframe, then deleted the original last keyframe.
I also tried doing the same but replacing the original last keyframe with the a copy of the first one. However both methods have still resulted in the dreaded last black frame of the loop. The last frame is always black. I've gone through plenty of forum posts on this website and others and still haven't found a solution unfortunately. This is really doing my head in!

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your last keyframe also at the end of the Timeline?

Additionally, if you are nesting and wanting to loop and do not require Expressions to trigger specific properties in a layer within the precomp, then it is best to render out and re-import. Import and then use the Interpret Footage Dialog to set the number of loops - this option is at the bottom of the said dialog window. This workflow eventually allows for quicker previews and renders as you progress with your project.

This workflow is also more productive even if you are looping a single layer if it is to be looped numerous times and is sufficiently heavy to render on its own.

When rendering out, you are essentially committing to a pre-render - to create an intermediate file which will be used in your Timeline. Hence, ensure you pick a high quality format and setting. DNxhd and ProRes are good options.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

No it isn't, the duration of a single cycle is about 1 or 2 seconds and the main comp length is 10 seconds. I think it will be easier to follow what you said in this case. The loopOut "trick" sometimes works but it doesn't here, and its a very very simple loop so yep i'll just render it and put it back could I use a .png sequence? That's what I'd normally choose.

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you give us a printscreen for your timeline ?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPG is a highly compressed format deliberately created as a delivery format over the Internet. Keep away from it as a production/post-production format. Use TIFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you mean PNG? I thought PNG was uncompressed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG is supposed to be a lossless compression format but it depends on how/who applies the compression algorithm. And even if you are assured of a lossless compression from a particular software you use, it is not an efficient format to work with in post-production. AE has to load up each frame and then de-compress the image - this takes up time and RAM away from other tasks. It's better to use a non-compressed format and uncompressed TIFF or even TIFF with RLE compression is better since RLE is quite fast to decode. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah okay. Thanks a lot! I'll keep that in mind for future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever solve the black frame problem? Time remapping sets the last frame AFTER the last frame has played. Just use the J and K keys to bounce between the keyframes and you will see what I mean.

To remove the black frame you have to back up one frame so you can see picture, set a new keyframe and then delete the last one. That is all there is to it. If the first and last frame is identical you will get a seamless loop with just 2 keyframes. If you want a repeating pattern where the first and last frames are different then you need to copy the first keyframe, move to the last keyframe, then use Ctrl/Cmnd + Right Arrow to move one more keyframe and paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the solution. Remember to purge memory and disk cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are a blessing. I was going mad at why my composition loop was displaying this particular empty frame, your comment saved my work ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines