• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low memory warning in After Effects 23.0 (2023)

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately 23.0 did not fix the issue for me on my M1 mac. It still only renders 2 frames at a time and gives the same error. If I revert back to version 22.4 it works perfectly but any subsequent update (including the 23.0 just released) has the playback issue.

Update: version 24.0 working much better!

I had various results with updates 23.1-23.6, most of them still occasionally having the issue saying it's out of memory or even black frames when rendering. It didn't matter if I had all plugins removed, fresh install, and no other programs running. I just updated to v24.0 and instantly started working like it used to before v23.0. RAM previews are loading right away and playing back in realtime speeds. I'll update if anything changes but so far they seem to have fixed the issues plaguing v23+ at least for me.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Hi all,

After Effects 23.1 contains improvements to memory management and fixes an issue that caused After Effects to show low memory warnings during preview. If you experience a low memory issue in After Effects 23.1, please create a new post for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Hi Everyone - we've just made available AE 23.2x9 Beta which has 2 very important changes in it related to the low memory/5 frame rendering issue. We are looking for as many people who can reproduce this issue as possible to download the beta and to see if the issue is fixed. If we can get some confirmations, we'll push the fix into the upcoming 23.1 full release, but we really need as many people to try it out as possible.

You should be able to acccess the Beta from the Creative Cloud Desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 316 Replies 316
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! better than previous beta versions.
Beta 23.2.0.8 - M1 Macbook pro, Monterey 12.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using it since yesterday. I have not gotten any errors yet but, I find everything slow and sluggish.. just dragging layers and keyframes in the timeline placing them on different timmings left to right feels very slow and alot of times it just decides to jump step back 3-5 frames back to the left from where I dragged it.. it makes it so you have to work at a slower pace for AE to register your movements. Something is just off and weird doesn t feel natural.

I ll keep working my projects with AE 23.2 and leave more comments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE 23.2 crashes when clicking on "All acceptable files" when importing something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll see if I can reproduce this crash you're seeing. But it might be worth a reboot to see if the sluggishness clears up. The memory fix is very specific for rendering so I don't think it'd be causing these other issues. Not to say they aren't real, but I think likely something else related to what's in the beta right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenkmeister
23.1 was working for me. There was some small issues I had with text PRECOMPED causing AE to slow down unecessaryily but I just deleted the layer and retyped it and it reduced latency. BTW, the render time Column is a god send. It helps me work out which layers are buggy and sort out what causes slow down.

So far 23.2 is working for me but I need to use it over the next few days to give you an honest review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the text bug is still happening. When you convert a photoshop layer to text within AE using the convert to text option that layer then lags the program. This makes AE very unresponsive to the point it's almost unusable. I have attached screenshots of the RED text which are the issue and the project. 

To confirm this is AE Beta 23.2 on M1 Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. We'll take a look at the text issue and see if we can reproduce it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jenkmeister!
I installed the Beta version as you said and it worked for me, the cache+playback is back to normality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This beta version seems to fix the problem for me! Just to let you know - Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's better, but still very very slow to preview and gradually slows down as it goes for me. I should be able to get lightning fast performance out of my 64GB M1 Max machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no way to look at who or what changed in the code starting from version 22.5 vs 22.6 ? the entire issue started in version 22.6... now with beta v23.2.9 all i m seeing is the error not showing up but getting masive slow down in performance while working as if the code is all messed up and certain code competing againts one another creating lag. 128 gigs with i9 12900k feels like i only have 16 gigs of ram with an intel i5. The code is just wrong.. needs a tuneup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feels like exactly what I’m experiencing. It feels like my M1 has been reduced to a potato clock.

Best,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We turned off the old way of managing memory in AE as it was not working properly - it would use way more memory than you had allocated, and would cause the system to become unstable. It sounds like something else is going on with your machine as the memory changes are actually very focused on the rendering step. If you can capture the experience in a screen recording and post it somewhere, we are more than happy to take a look at what you are seeing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, so far is also working for me on M1 macbook pro with M1 Max and on Monterey, whereas 22.6 and 23.0 were giving me the 5 frame render bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s great, although mine stopped working on an even more spectacular scale not long after I wrote this. I’ve been using CC since it launched and this is by far the biggest issue I’ve faced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro, 13-inch, M1, 2020

16GB RAM

I installed the AE 23.2x16 beta and the Premiere 23.2.0 Build 8 Beta. 

-- Opened an exisitng project, and RAM previewed several sequences (up to 18 seconds long) without issue. Previews felt more sluggish than 22.4, but works. In particular, there were some weird moments where it would take 5-6 seconds to render something without updating the comp window, but then it would suddenly jump forward several seconds as though that stuff had been rendered in the background. Playback once rendered was normal and full quality.

I also created a new project in AE23.2.x16 Beta. I made a simple comp with an animated solid and text layer, both with motion blur. They rendered fine in AE and also played back fine when I pulled that comp into Premiere 23.2.0Beta-Build8. 

I also took a sequence of about 15 short clips from Premiere into AE via dynamic link. AE seems to have trouble with this. It didn't want to play back the whole sequence smoothly, and really chugged along while RAM previewing the sequence in a comp. 

SO.. AE seems to work ok. AE >> Premiere dynamic link seems to work ok. Premiere >> AE dynamic link seems to struggle. 

It's worth noting that when I initially upgraded to public 23.0, everything seemed fine for a few hours before I started seeing the render errors again. But for now, things seem to be headed in the right direction. I'm going to retreat back to the safety of AE 22.4 for now, but hopefully this will all lead to a working 23.3 soon. Keep up the good work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jenkmeister, can you confirm this fix will be pushed into 23.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can confirm that. Expect it to release early next week. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.1 is now available to all users. Please give it a go and let us know how it improves things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.1 seems to use less memory but why does dragging keyframes and working in 23.1 seems slow and laggy ?

Windows 10 

i9 12900k

128 gb ram with 24 gb allocated for other apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same issue on a Mac. I found that it was Extensions panels. When I closed all my open extension panels, moving layers and keyframes went back to normal. Not sure if this will be the solution for you, but figured I'd share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I m affraid it might be, Since my workflow and pannels are part of everyday tools I use. My interface layout has about 50 Pannels docked. But this has Never been an issue with version 22.5 and lower all the way to cs6... Please fix and clean up the recent code this is just laggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but this doesn't seem to be true.
I'm checking via my creative cloud app, however it shows no updates for After Effects which is still at the 23.0 release in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some odd reason, if you have a VPN or maybe in another country I ve notice some of the updates do not always appear on the same day as it s release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines