• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low memory warning in After Effects 23.0 (2023)

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately 23.0 did not fix the issue for me on my M1 mac. It still only renders 2 frames at a time and gives the same error. If I revert back to version 22.4 it works perfectly but any subsequent update (including the 23.0 just released) has the playback issue.

Update: version 24.0 working much better!

I had various results with updates 23.1-23.6, most of them still occasionally having the issue saying it's out of memory or even black frames when rendering. It didn't matter if I had all plugins removed, fresh install, and no other programs running. I just updated to v24.0 and instantly started working like it used to before v23.0. RAM previews are loading right away and playing back in realtime speeds. I'll update if anything changes but so far they seem to have fixed the issues plaguing v23+ at least for me.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Hi all,

After Effects 23.1 contains improvements to memory management and fixes an issue that caused After Effects to show low memory warnings during preview. If you experience a low memory issue in After Effects 23.1, please create a new post for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Hi Everyone - we've just made available AE 23.2x9 Beta which has 2 very important changes in it related to the low memory/5 frame rendering issue. We are looking for as many people who can reproduce this issue as possible to download the beta and to see if the issue is fixed. If we can get some confirmations, we'll push the fix into the upcoming 23.1 full release, but we really need as many people to try it out as possible.

You should be able to acccess the Beta from the Creative Cloud Desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 316 Replies 316
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the case. In the past, AE wasn't paying as much attention to memory usage as it should have been. That meant that if you set AE to use 8GB of RAM, it would often end up using a lot more than that resulting in system instabilities and crashes. In 22.6/23.*, we've fixed that memory tracking so AE is closely monitoring memory use. There are cases now where the memory used by plugins both bundled and third-party may cause a lot of memory to be consumed blocking the ability to render a lot of frames. We are working with third-party plugin developers to help them get their issues fixes (see the recent releases from Maxon/Red Giant) as well as continuing to look at the plugins bundled with AE. There are also some other situations, especially with M1 machines, where memory is shared between the system and the GPU, and there are some conflicts here where the GPU is holding onto memory that AE would otherwise use for rendering frames. We are working right now on resolving that issue along with any other issues we can reproduce so we can get fixes in for the 23.1 release. If you're willing to install the AE Beta (available in the Creative Cloud desktop app) there are already fixes in and more are coming every day. We'd love your help to validate the fixes are working for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE wasn't paying as much attention to memory usage as it should have been.  .... We are working with third-party plugin developers to help them get their issues fixes...

By @jenkmeister

I am always facinated to observe how adobe programmers neglect an issue, and somehow afterward it is someone else's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if it came off like that. The fallout from AE now doing what it should have been doing all along, is that other components that weren't tracking their memory correctly now need to make the same corrections. I promise the team is working hard on figuring out what's going on and getting the M1 machines to work the best we can with AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are just on edge and frustrated. I've been designing and animating in AE for 15 years and this has been the worst 6 months of my career. Most of my day is clicking something and waiting 5 - 10 seconds for a single frame RAM preview of what I just did. It's impossible to RAM preview animations when you only get 2 - 5 frames. Then you spend an incredibly long time rendering a composition. A job which could have taken an hour turns into 5 - 6.

I understand this is complex software and I wouldn't know the first thing about software development but these issues affect so many people. I really hope that when you do release software updates there is adaquate testing and you don't release software knowing it contains bugs like this.

Back to the Beta AE 23.1.

I have just launched it and it's great so far. I don't have any third party plugins installed.

Cached an entire 17 second timeline while I was idle. RAM preview playback at Full Res didn't skip any frames and completed the entire timeline.

Render time was 1Min 22Seconds which is roughly the same as I achieved in 22.2 where as the 22.5 - 23 it is about 40 minutes.

Well done to the lads. I'm going to have a go installing some plugins and scripts into it now and I'll let you know if it has trouble again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all that feedback and good to hear the beta is working better for you so far. We'll keep working on getting AE back to the best it can be for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find the 23.1 Beta in the app? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Beta 23.1.0 (Build 67) with no 3rd party plugins on an M1 Macbook Pro and can confirm this is still an issue. It renders about 5 frames and that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that right from the start, or a particular set of steps or something else? When you get into this state, how much memory does the activity monitor say AE is using? How much memory is allocated to AE in Preferences -> Memory & Performance? Do you have other apps open using memory? Just trying to make sure we have a clear picture of your situation. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try AE Beta 23.2x9 and see if it solves the problems you're experiencing. More details here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/low-memory-warning-in-after-effects-23-0-20...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discovered something related to this. 

I'm having all the frustrating issues people are describing. I have go through all the suggested steps multiple times to no avail. 

In one comp (basic text animation 3 layers) with errors and ram preview issues. It also features a pre-comp with a .mp4 that has some textures. I've used add to provide some texture for my 3 text layers and background. If I remove the pre-comp the error magically dissapears. 

I have a hard drive with 100gb cache allowance. 16gb ram with 10 allocated to AE. This shouldn't be an issue. 

I've got a client deadline and this is beyond a joke. Every update it's something new, get it together guys. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you save your projet as an older version 22.x and install Version 22.5 or lower since 22.6 is the same architechture as version 23. The convert to lower version works great in most cases. I m using version 22.5 with no issues but some are saying they prefer version 22.4. Give up trying to make your AE 23 work correctly as errors will always come back. They broke something and will eventualy try to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers for the heads up. After restarting Ae numerous times. I've just restarted my machine and the issues has resolved itself. Frustratingly I don't know what started the issue or what technically fixed it. 

Disregard my previous point about disabling an .mp4 layer as the errors returned only 2 minutes later. 2 hours until deadline, i'll just hold my breath and look into version swapping tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I also have problems with the RAM in connection with Magic Bullet Looks. After Effects says I'm low on RAM and should switch to software rendering.
I have a Mac Studio M1 Ultra 128GB 4TB with the latest Ventura system. All programs and plugins are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still have issues with this. Can't play more than 2 frames on a brand new M1 Macbook. Classic After Effects, classic Adobe bodge job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best fix i've found so far is to empty disk cache and then clean database and cache. Then restart Ae and you should be okay ... for a while. 

The things i've found spike it the most are stuff found in adjustment layers. I've been disabling anything stylistic until I need it. - Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I've tried all the simple stuff, this is an inherient bug. I can't even play a 5 second loop of a shape layer changing scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to share that project? I know it sounds like a simple project, but it'd be great for us to have it so we can attempt to repro the problem. We have multiple engineers working on this right now so anything we can get would really help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or at least a video of what you're seeing happening? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It simply won't play anything beyond two frames. Here's a solid with NO animation on it.

https://imgur.com/a/nCIfLVl

Monterey 12.4

13" M1 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you go into your Preferences -> Memory and Performance and check how much RAM you have assigned to Other Apps and AE? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reduced this to 1gb (for a total of 15 for AE) and it still bugs out. Clearly an issue with the M1 architecture. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try AE Beta 23.2x9 and see if it solves the problems you're experiencing. More details here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/low-memory-warning-in-after-effects-23-0-20...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says 12 GB, I have played around with this number and lowered it to 6 and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pixel-cutter 

This is most likely something to do with either how your M1 is configured or your M1 hardware.

I get really good performance in After Effects 22.6 and After Effects 23.0 on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) 16GB/512GB running macOS Monterey 12.6.1.

Check that you have provided After Effects permission under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy; specifically Files and Folders, Screen Recording, and Automation.

Run Apple Diagnostics to verify that your hardware passes those tests.

Take a close look at other software - especially background tasks - even if it does not seem to be related to After Effects.  Back in the late 1990s, there was a fax extension that caused all source footage to load as 0-by-0 in After Effects version 3.  You can use System Information to view a full list of your software.

Add a macOS User as an Administrator User or a Standard User and run After Effects under that user.  This rules out any User-level issues.  If you get the same errors, you can delete this user.

Software configuration and hardware configuration are different skill sets than motion design.  Don't hesitate to reach out to Adobe via the Contact Us chat bubble at the bottom right of After Effects Learn & Support to have Adobe support verify your installation (allow about two hours for this).  For assistance with any of the Apple side troubleshooting, hopefully, AppleCare is still active and you can use the Get Support link on Apple MacBook Pro Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines