Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mask/Track Matte Multiple Layers

Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 22.45.29.jpgHi again,

First off, I'm a beginner. And I'm having a bit of a tough time understading how Track Mattes and Masks work. I understand masks from Ps/Ai but not Tracks' in Ae. 

In the screenshot below is what im working on - very simple stuff. All i want is for MULTIPLE layers to mask OR track matte to one shape/layer - regardless of order (if possible)

There is:

White BackGround - on lock

Liquid Gif - a loopOut comp (which I have Alpha tracked to Shape Layer 2)

Shape Layer 2 - block fill of my illustration 

Shape Layer 3 -  the rectanlge with wave warp effect (in pink)

Outline - the main illustration 

In all, all I want is for Liquid Gif and Shape layer 3 to both mask Shape Layer 2 (the block fill) But because of track matting only working on the single layer above I cant work out how to get them both to work the same.

I have no idea if any of my order is right. If my logic about this is poor please call me out on it and nerd over it! Any tips are welcome 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE

I copied the Shape Layer 2 and just had that mask the Shape Layer 3  - it has worked. But is there a more sophisticated way of doing this rather than adding copied layers? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi beerai,

If you precompose Liquid Gif and Shape layer 3 and then make that composition the track matte, does that work the way you want it to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Track Matte requires the Matte Layer to be placed DIRECTLY above the Fill Layer. Hence, only one Fill Layer can access a single instance of a Matte Layer. To get multiple/different Fill Layers to work with a single Matte Layer, you'll have to duplicate the Matte Layer.

A more elegant way is to use the Set Matte effect - Effect>Channel>Set Matte. With the Set Matte effect, multiple Fill Layers can access a single Matte Layer. HTH.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant info, thanks! I used to to give a single layer multiple Matte information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Roland says + one more suggestion. Many times Pre-composing is the simplest option. Lots of folks think Pre-composing complicates things and makes comps harder to work with but the opposite is true. They are a great organizational tool that simplifies workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines