• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, to keep it simple I have a question since I am pretty new to after effects I am still figuring out most of the tools and effects in the program. One of which is the pen/mask tool, in most of the videos I've seen on after effects when someone uses the pen tool and masks something on their composition the outline is the only thing there while the rest of the comp stays the same. Yet effects can still be applied to the masked element. For me it just blacks out the background of what is outside of my mask, can someone explain to me how I can change that?

Before anyone asks I do have render checked on my footage layer

mask.jpg

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Given your description it's difficult to know exactly what procedure you're referring to here - but my guess is that you might be talking about effect compositing options.

Normally when you apply a mask to a layer, you will mask - that is, 'cut out' - the layer. In that case, assuming there are no other visible layers below, you'll see the background composition colour: typically black, as in your case.

However, there is another option when using masks...
In your screen shot, looking at the tim

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Make a new Adjustment Layer above the layer you want to be affected, add the effects to the adjustment layer. This will affect all the layers underneath if there are more than one..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thank you for your input this definitely seems to correct my masking issues thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a beginner tutorial explaining masks (and also Adjustment layers)

For the entire tutorial series, see here

https://mamoworld.com/after-effects-beginner-tutorials

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects
In this guru lesson you learn how to use masks and adjustment layers in After Effects. We give the guru a dark face and add a vignette to the clip to make it look more interesting. We also cover the per point mask feather available in After Effects CS6 and newer versions. The Guru Lessons are a ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Friend this is very helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given your description it's difficult to know exactly what procedure you're referring to here - but my guess is that you might be talking about effect compositing options.

Normally when you apply a mask to a layer, you will mask - that is, 'cut out' - the layer. In that case, assuming there are no other visible layers below, you'll see the background composition colour: typically black, as in your case.

However, there is another option when using masks...
In your screen shot, looking at the timeline, you'll see 'Compositing Options' in the Directional blur effect. Click the + button to the right and you'll get a menu from which you can select a mask. If you only have one mask on the layer it will be automatically selected. Doing this means the mask now no longer masks the layer itself, but masks the extent of the effect on the layer.

Is this what you are looking for?

One other related tip: Directly to the left of the 'Active Camera' menu at the bottom of the Comp window is a checkerboard icon. Enabling this will display Comp transparency as a grey / white checkerboard, which may be more helpful for you in detremining what areas are transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is very much helpful It definitely corrects what I was trying to do on my project thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're happy to mark my answer above as 'Correct Answer' that will be appreciated and will help others find this solution. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines