Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Match Name for "Source Text" property

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I am desperately looking for the "Match Name" for the property "Source Text" of a text layer. This might be right, but I don't know how to continue:

textLayer.property("ADBE Text Properties").property("ADBE Text Document");

I want to use the MatchName so that my script can be used in any AE installation language.

-pete

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Hey Pete (or is it John?),

You've got it right so far.  If you want to change the value...you'll do something like this:

var newText = "This is my new text!";

textLayer.property("ADBE Text Properties").property("ADBE Text Document").setValue(newText);

alert(textLayer.property("ADBE Text Properties").property("ADBE Text Document").value);

Hope that helps!

Calvin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks right to me. What's the issue?

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Pete (or is it John?),

You've got it right so far.  If you want to change the value...you'll do something like this:

var newText = "This is my new text!";

textLayer.property("ADBE Text Properties").property("ADBE Text Document").setValue(newText);

alert(textLayer.property("ADBE Text Properties").property("ADBE Text Document").value);

Hope that helps!

Calvin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan and Calvin are correct.

If you ever need to figure out any match names, the script rd_GimmePropPath is your best friend.

Redefinery offers it as a free download:

http://www.redefinery.com/ae/rd_scripts/

It is really simple to use: Just select any property, click a button and it gives you the scripting code you need to access this property (also including match names).

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the answers - I didn't know how to retrieve the actual text. ".value" did the trick, sorry if that was obvious

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines