Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory Consumption

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My After Effect consumes a lot of memory even with a new project. After import of just one video, the creation of one composition with two layers, my PC (32 Go RAM) is almost running out of memory making AE very slow and stuttering. I tried to clean media cash but no result. Any idea ?

benjaminj70996489_0-1651220553056.png

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

that's just how AE works. It can't read from cache at full speed, so loads as much of the cache it can in RAM memory, because it's not fast enough to apply effects, masks, and so on on the fly. it can take several seconds just for single frames, so when it does any work, it loads the uncompressed frames into RAM, for fast playback. if you select 25%, then 50% and play it both times, then both will be totally stored in RAM. 

32 gigs is simply not enough for something that uses memory in such a fas

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set and change the memory size if you like to. You move to Edit menu > Preferences > Memory & Performance > RAM reserved for other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's just how AE works. It can't read from cache at full speed, so loads as much of the cache it can in RAM memory, because it's not fast enough to apply effects, masks, and so on on the fly. it can take several seconds just for single frames, so when it does any work, it loads the uncompressed frames into RAM, for fast playback. if you select 25%, then 50% and play it both times, then both will be totally stored in RAM. 

32 gigs is simply not enough for something that uses memory in such a fashion. 128 gigs is the suggested amount, and for anything above a few seconds of 1080p, 64gigs is considered the minimum. After Effects' "effective uninterrupted frame count" is limited by RAM, and almost scales linearly. almost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will add in retrospect, that this is part of the reason many AE users want a full from scratch rewrite of after effects. it was made before GPU's were even useful for most people, and when basically all CPU's had a single core, and disc hard drives were much more limited than they are now. next year AE turns 30- it's slightly older than I am, and I still remember using those green and black command line interface only computers, with ascii graphics only, at school. It simply can't take advantage of modern hardware- so it's like doing VFX on an emulated machine. performance losses every step of the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines