• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge a group of paths or keep as separate layers?

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have created an icon that is a group of paths which I have imported from illustrator (see attached image of "0" with "/" going through center).

Once I have imported into After Effects it becomes of layer with a group of paths, fills and other sub-layers (see attached layer screenshot).

My ultimate goal is to animate this layer along a path. I have tried merging, however, it does not allow me to animate along a separate desired path line.

I have tried many different methods. But ultimately I would like to animate this icon along a path. Would it be easier to manage this inside or outside of after effects to make the move along a path easier?

I am open to many options.

Thanks in advance!

Path.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-05 at 3.12.00 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are talking about simply animating the position of this layer?  Just animate its Position property.  Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I would like to animate it along a path, not simply shift its position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what is the difference between a "path" as you describe it and the motion path created by animating a layer's position?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a path and a motion path are two

different things. You can convert a path to a motion path in the method described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created an icon that is a group of paths which I have imported from illustrator (see attached image of "0" with "/" going through center).

Once I have imported into After Effects it becomes of layer with a group of paths, fills and other sub-layers (see attached layer screenshot).

first off, why did you convert it to shape? unless you plan to use shape operators or manipulate the path of the shape itself or need it to be embedded in the project with no source files - it's an unnecessary step.

My ultimate goal is to animate this layer along a path. I have tried merging, however, it does not allow me to animate along a separate desired path line.

if you want to animate a layer along the path, create a new shape layer, draw a path, then copy paste the path property to the target layer's position. this will convert the path to position keyframes. this is option 1.

option 2, can create a dynamic path. add a shape layer and create a path, then highlight the path property, then use the window->create nulls from paths, and click trace path. this will create a null that will move along the path, and defaults to loop (you can change it in the effect controls). now parent anything to that null and it will move along with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not convert it to a shape (?) I imported the illustrator file. If it is an unnecessary step then how should I start it?

Ok I will try option 2 and get back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not convert it to a shape (?) I imported the illustrator file. If it is an unnecessary step then how should I start it?

In the screenshot we see a shape, not an illustrator layer, so I assumed you converted the illustrator layer to a shape. Wjen you import an illustrator layer it does not automatically convert to shape...

create a path on a blank shape layer and paste it to the illustrator layer's position or create a path on a blank shape layer, use the script in option 2, then parent the illustrator shape to that null.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines