• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Method for overlaying screen recording of presentation over video in After Effects or Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a training video with the following components:

- a video of myself recorded separately

- a screen recording (video) of a presentation done in Google Slides (with animations)

I would like to

- Overlay the presentation with transparent background on top of my video so that my presentation graphics looks like on screen except that the background is removed and replaced by the video

Problem

I have not found a combination of background color on the screen recording (I can set it to whatever I like) and blend mode, that lets me keep the fidelity of the graphics. 

I guess color keying could to the trick but it would be great if there is a less "intense" method.

Thankful for any advice!

This is using black background and blend mode "screen" but, of course, the fidelity is lost...

henrikg57039826_0-1617007888762.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any idea about what the original footage looks like we can't tell you much. Chances are that you have to use combinations of different techniques such as generating transparency with channle operations and of course a bit of masking. No shortcuts here unless the presentation has been specifically prepared for later use in video tools. In fact that may be the first thing to look into: If there is a chance to export your presentation from Slides e.g. as PNGs with transparencies this may already solve a ton of issues.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you @Mylenium. I attached a picture in the original post to give you an idea. The video is of me with a even color background and the presentation is just like any other presentation with texts and pictures and animations (things appear, move a little and so on)

Google Slides lets me export individual slides as PNG with transparent background kept and everything looks great. But, this makes any animation impossible since you export to a picture.

If I use color keying instead and set the presentation background color to someting I do not use anywhere else in the presentation - I can remove it. But due to anti-aliasing and similar, there will be left-overs at the edges of text which looks really bad.

I guess I can to the presentation in After Effects (or possibly Animate) instead but it doesn't seem like that is the sweet spot use for those programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines