• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Media When Exporting in Media Encoder

Participant ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm trying to export a 3-minute video in After Effects. It's made up of animated text in nested comps, background videos, MotionBRO transitions, and music.

First, I tried to export the Lossless AVI directly from the Render Queue but the video would come out with several errors and audio popping in and out.

When I export the H.264 file in Media Encoder, it works perfectly except for one section where I have a couple of nested comps. (A cell phone animation and nested text). It shows up as bars and tone on the preview and in the exported video. In After Effects, however, the comps are visible and there is no missing media. What is going on and how do I fix this? 

Capture.PNG

Thank you!

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue here. Odd thing is that Ive encoded it multiple times and each time a different clip will be missing and the previously missing ones are there once again. I have no idea what the issue is since nothing has changed and everything shows up in the After Effects preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: I got it to work fine after rendering a few times! The only change I made was going into the original working file in After Effects and finding the video clip in my imported media library. I right clicked and selected "reload" on each of the offending clips. Visually it changed nothing, but I rendered a final time and everything came out alright. Another thing of note is that I kept After Effects open while the media encoder app did its work, whereas before I closed it and loaded the composition in the encoder on its own.

Hope this helps! Im not sure if it actually did anything or I just got lucky but I figured Id let you and anyone else know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exatlcy same issue... reloading footage didnt help. for me even static pictures are missing from exported video...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try exporting out of AE's render queue into QuickTime with the Prores codec (422 is fine). Then, take that file and put it in Adobe Media Encoder to make your MP4.

" I tried to export the Lossless AVI directly from the Render Queue but the video would come out with several errors and audio popping in and out."

The reason the AVI you made had "audio popping in and out" is probably because uncompressed AVIs have such a high data rate that your hard drive can't even deliver it fast enough to play back. You could put it into Adobe Media Encoder to make an MP4 and it'd probably be fine too. I always just suggest ProRes as the intermediate codec because it's much smaller file sizes than uncompressed AVI, but it's still visually lossless (high quality).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This work around was effective for me, but I still would like to know a true solve for this problem. I've worked on a couple projects and this issue is continuing to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issues, I tried reloading all of the footage but it didn't work. I then restarted AE - and it worked! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this suggestion. Worked for me as I was going nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the magic trick! Worked for me. Thanks pal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know its 2 years old but i love you i was about to go insane thank you sm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure if this will help but i was having the same problem and found out that the photos/media in my project that weren't working were ones i imported from my photos app [im on mac] and not my files eg. downloads etc. once i replaced them they rendered just fine :))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an update a few months ago now that seemed to cause this for me, and it has been happening ever since. I still haven't found a decently solution (or reason why it's even happening.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having this same issue right now. Media Encoder is basically unsable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about Premier but with After Effects I find it helps close AE, re-open the project and then export. Don't know if this works every time but it has at least twice that I can remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same issue. Restarting and reloading the footage didn't work for me.
I moved my videofile from 'downloads' and added it to a local folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and i'm a bit frustrated that this is the only thread i can find that talks about this issue, and we're not even really sure what's going on. 

1. my first fix was similar to one answer here which was i rendered to mov via ae then converted to mp4 on media encoder. But this eats up alot of my pc's memory esp am only doing this on a laptop. 

2. Reloading the file, restarting ae, and trying multiple times didn't work for me, but what did was i moved the supposedly missing video to the same folder where my ae file is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move the missing video to the same folder with the AE file work! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm also having this issue. Or had this issue! I don't have a way to fix it yet but at least I found the problem and how to work around it so I can continue rendering with AME. I don't know if my situation is the same as others but here is what I experienced.

I noticed that this "missing file" render problem occurred when I tried to render a comp from an AE file that was saved locally (on desktop) using footage that was also saved in the same folder. When I tried to render from an AE file (+ footage) that was saved on an online server (like OneDrive or Dropbox) everything worked as usual.

I moved the AE project (AE file + footage) from which I wanted to render from desktop to OneDrive and tried to render it. Thankfully it worked! So I assume my AME is only searching for footage in my online storage servers and not in de local folders. To which my only question is: Why? 😅

It also explains why AE could see my footage (because it was there, on my desktop), but AME couldn't render the footage because it was saved locally and not on an online server. If this really is the issue I hope I can change it in AME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines