Exit

Missing texture?

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is this? Never seen this before. Just updated to 2021

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Preview , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any specific info about the project nobody can even begin to guess. You need to make an effort and actually give people something they can work with.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't need one the screen shot should say enough. I have this problem too and nothing is working 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What more information do you need? What does he like to eat for dinner? he's posted an image and asked if anyone had ever seen it before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of problems present themselves visually in the same way. Simply saying "yup, I've seen it before" doesn't help the OP, so context goes a long way to troubleshooting a problem. I've seen others encounter this issue before and I asked a specific question below (although I never got an answer); so even though both scenarios resulted in "Missing Texture", the solution (but really, turning off Draft 3D isn't a solution, it just means there was a bug somewhere) that worked for some folks ended up being different than the one I was alluding to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a lot easier to see your screenshots if you drag them to the reply field on the forum instead of using the nearly useless Drag and drop here...

On your problem, cropped screenshots that do not show us the modified properties of the layer you are having problems with are just about completely useless. Whatever effect you are using cannot find the original footage source so you have either moved it or renamed something. 

If that is not it, we need a complete description of the workflow and screenshots. Select the layer, press 'uu' and drag it to the reply field on  the forum or use the toolbar to embed instead of attaching the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey James, I just got this too and I have never seen it before. It doesn't connect to anything I've seen and Mylenium if you don't have anything helpful to say, stop trashing on questions. 

Hey OP I wonder if it is a 2021 AE Update. I got it too randomly within 20-30 hours into a project. And it kinda goes away when I mess around with quality and stuff.

What were you doing when you got it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm totally onside with Mylenium and Rick here.  Without more info its impossible to understand what the problem is or what causes it, no matter how many people chime in with the same problem.  Context is everything.

What effects are being used in the problem layers?  What assets are being used in the problem comp?  Are any assets listed as missing in the Project window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with you guys we should get more details to get understand the issue, anyway after updating your AE be sure you have the latest driver for your GPU, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yep, Im getting the same bug, big missing texture B&W image, not sure whats going on in these forums shooting down users at a loss as to try an explain a a strange occurence that comes from knowhere. This bug has no real origin, I've never seen a missing texture image like this before, only since 2021. There are no missing footage items and seems to occur when you initate draft 3D. I've also noticed that I cant see the ellusive new groundplane feature... could this be the culprit. All GPU drivers updated, 2080 GPU,  2950x CPU (latest windows build). AE developers, I appreciate the complexity of the behemouth that AE is and the broad and multifaceted client base it serves. A concise answer on this issue would be appreciated. Missing texture visible both with ground plane turned on and off, not visible when rendered - ground plane not visible at all.

masterofthejack_0-1623844130851.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome solution! I had this same problem, but as per your suggestion, I turned of Draft 3d and it was a great work around. THANK YOU SO MUCH! It saved me time and energy trying to relink and upload a new asset. That would have been the worst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was super helpful--thank you!

I also noticed that if you've previously toggled "Draft 3D" in a previous project/comp--but don't have any 3D layers in your current comp--the "Draft 3D" switch doesn't show in the current comp but still triggers the "Missing Texture" error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked for me too. Running into the same issue with this Missing Texture layer, working in After Effects 2022, after I turned on the Draft 3D option on a 3D composition. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Duik by any chance? I've seen this problem mentioned a couple times and it looks like a weird caching issue. Duik is just a set of scripts, so it's not the source of the problem, but it could be triggering the issue.

One solution I've seen is to switch the Fast Previews setting from  “Off (Final Quality)” to “Adaptive Resolution” and then back again. Does doing this help? If so, then you should file a bug on UserVoice so the AE team can see it: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

@masterofthejack, this is a user-to-user forum and members of the AE team are rarely on here. UserVoice is the best place to get your issues seen by the team. But like you mentioned, AE is incredibly complex, so a concise answer is not always a possible. When the team can easily reproduce a bug (which is helped by presise steps, system configuration, exact version of AE and not just saying "AE 2021", and full screenshots) they can usually fix issues very quickly. It's hard-to-reproduce issues like this that make fixing bugs challening. What may seem an easy-to-trigger problem on your end could be very specific to your system config, the type of project you're working on, your installed scripts or plug-ins, user account permissions, and any number of other variables, which is why people ask for more details on these posts instead of firing shots in the dark. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I've had the same problem, and I found a solution for my case:

There should be a button like the one below in your composition window, at the right side. 

That was turned on for some reason in my project, don't know the shortcut but must have triggered it somehow.

Screenshot 2021-08-04 at 15.48.06.png

If I turn this button off, I can see my images again and the checkered 'texture missing' pattern dissapears.

Hope it helps for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that might make sense to me, as the missing textures looked like something you would see in 3D game, especially with skewing.  I think these missing textures are missing for the GPU and probably that they just aren't loading in at a reduced quality (something draft 3D implies).  If turning off draft 3D fixes the issue, then this might be a bug to report to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Draft 3D button actually turns on an entirely new render engine, which can be much faster for previewing things. The missing texture issue is a bug that (as mentioned above) I've seen when people are using Duik, but I know others are also seeing the issue. There are many things to try an troubleshoot, and many people have provided steps on this forum, so it's worth looking for other posts and trying the solutions you find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with 3D view. Sadly I can't find a work arround to use Draft 3D and extended view without having that problem. Ae have crashed a few times now and I've sent the report to Adobe and Apple. Hope it gets fixed soon cause I'm loving the new extended view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @José5E4C, this is an old thread, but if the issue is still occuring you should definitely file a bug so the AE team can take a look. What exact version of AE are you using and are your GPU drivers up-to-date? To file a bug, you no longer have to go to UserVoice, you can make a new post and tag it as a bug which is so much simpler than the previous process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. @davidarbor! Thaks for you reply! I'm on Ae 2023. Just updated it. I'm on a MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Max. I haven't gotten a GPU driver update. Don't know how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jose! What kinda issue are you having with the 3D view? because I ran into a bug yesterday with my M1 macbook as well. It was super strange.Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 12.13.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-02 at 12.48.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! i'm having two issues. One is the Missing texture black and white images instead of my layers. The it "fixes"turning off the Draft 3D Button. The other one in the Low memory warning message when trying to preview. I'm investigating the last one and searching how to send the report to Adobe and Apple. 

That one from your picture has happened to me as well, but I move the layer and it gets fixed. 

This is the second one! (Pic attached) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren Heaton stated (he posted a reply in this thread) a feasible reason to why the texture is acting weird. I have recently been getting the "low memory" warning, evening though my activity monitor isn't seeing a memory shortage. It may be the newest AE build. Normally the low memory warning doesn't result in any freeze up. I would recommend updating the plugins or any script you are using. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like an asset used with a third party effect that did not migrate to the new verison.  You'll want to determine which plugin it's associated with and either migrate the asset manually or reinstall the plugin.

If it were After Effects native, you would receive a missing footage item notification when the project is launched and the placeholder will appear as color bars with the source filename.

WarrenHeaton_0-1667738818698.png

WarrenHeaton_1-1667738867280.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this Problem while using Mercury 3D. Switching to "Classsic 3D" solved its for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines