• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My After Effects preview is all black.

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to repair this? Because every time I try to preview my footage the video shown is completely black. Is there an option to tick or something? This problem started after doing some 3D edits.

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

I've been experiencing this problem for over a month now. One day my video preview just disappeared. Audio played during ram preview but the video was all black. However, today I finally realized the dumb reason why I wasn't seeing any video! I hope this solves your problem as well...

In the preview panel it says "include" and there are a few icons: a speaker icon, an eye, etc. The eye icon wasn't selected! That's why nothing was showing up. I must have accidentally un-clicked it. Make sure it's

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what happens if i'd like to use motion blur again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plugins like RSMB or CC Force Motion Blur can help with that, although they're not as reliable or good-looking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. THere is a small button on the bottom which says "region of interest".  I had accidentally pushed or used a hot key.  Either way when I pushed it the image reappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was my problem --- been using AE since 2001 too lol ... thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life changing comment!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I have also been experiencing the same issue but different. When I apply an effect into my composition, It just goes black... Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue too, after applying an effect, it just goes black. I've tried all the solutions here but none worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zain5E92_0-1625066192563.png

i need desperate help, i spent so much money on after effects and i have the exact same problem. my composition is black.

i deleted and reinstalled after effects

my caps lock is off

they eye icon is on

i really dont know what to do and im extremley desperate for a fix please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here... Nothing helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to View add new viewer and close your old one do this after purging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There can be many issue here.
for me it was graphics problem.

Go to File > Project settings > in Video rendering and effects tab use Memory GPU Acceleration.
if this is already selected then try other graphics settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the issue by running AE as administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my problem with AE 2022!

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how did you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! I use ae 2022 and this worked!! I was so worried thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT HELPED OMG THANK YOU , I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT FOR DAYS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha you’re welcome 😉

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can u help me? i have that problem today 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried everything below. 

My problem was the computer graphics card: 
This guy is a lifesaver if you have exausted all other options. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMac1xu0gHQ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 5 years late but just came up to this issue, if anyone else is looking for an answer, look at the bar below the video (black screen) where the zoom, resolution, etc is there. Then, what worked for me, was to change the resolution from QUARTER to auto. or full. or anything else other than quarter. Dunno why, kind of rediculous, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for that. It was the entire issue. Auto works great. I could only see things if I zoomed in past the full view area. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue for past week. All I can think of is the AE project I'm working with is large with lots of files. Only fix is I have is to restart of the app, but it eventually "blacks out" and I have to restart again. [iMac Pro (2017) 2.3 GHZ 18-Core, 128 GB Ram, Big Sur]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue, where a large project I'm working on will become transparent when I re-open it and the preview flashes black when I scrub through the frames. I've managed to "fix" it before by copying the project compositions into a different file and then re-opening the original one, and it miraculously started working again. However this time, exiting the project file completely crashes my After Effects, requiring me to close out of it and re-open it, and eliminating the ability to paste comps between project files. I still can't find out any working solutions for this, I've tried everything suggested in this thread with absolutely zero results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these solved my problem,
- Uninstall Geforce Experience 
- close / kill  all graphic card utilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix for me the last few times: switch fast previews mode from wireframe to adaptive resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines