Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Forums -- yay, I think?

Enthusiast ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sure looks purdy!

So will there be stickies? Folders for specialty topics (like Expressions, Scripting, etc)? And is there any way to see an archive of the "old" forum messages?

EDIT: Ah, I see the subfolders over to the right! Sneaky!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sticky topics, at the moment, but time will tell.  Glad you found the sub-forums to the side.   It's kind of weird having them over there, but I'm sure we'll get used to the idea.

Technically, everything in the old system should be here in the new, except FAQs (if I remember correctly).

The whole thing is obviously going to evolve fairly rapidly over the next few days and weeks as demand dictates.

At the moment, my biggest beef is that this new format fails to remember which posts have been read by the user - a nightmare in really long threads like "AE Wish List", for example.

But I gotta say, I love being able to post pics and attachments, link to YouTube, write Scripts without corruption etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Andrew.

It looks like the forum is remembering which posts have been read for me.

It seems as if the unread ones appear in bolder/darker color.

The ones that have been read, but have new content have a semibold appearance, and the read/nothing new ones seem to be in a more plain-text style.

Or, is that not what you're talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo Steve,

You're quite right about the three-tone list of forum names, but I think the Forum is simply tracking your activity per-thread, not within the thread.

What I meant was, the old Web Crossing Forum we've just lost would actually remember every post within each thread that the user had seen.  So if, for example, I opened the "After Effects Wish List" thread and read up to post #160, the next time I viewed that thread it would automatically take me to post #160.  In this new forum, its up to the user to remember what they've read and find that place, often through long lists of pages.

There has been plenty of noise about this all over the Adobe Forums, so it will be interesting to see if the Jive guys can add this feature to their system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's hope they can, it's a basic feature on most forums around the web

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Andrew, while it may not be exactly what you're looking for as far as the forum not "remembering" exactly what post in a thread you last read, you can always jump to the most recent post from the discussions listing by clicking on the "5 minutes ago" (or whatever timestamp the last poster left) on the right of the topic (above the last poster's name).

Then again, you probably already knew that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO, NO, NO!!! About a year ago the forum was changed and we all HATED it, this is no different. If it wasn't broke, why f__ck with it? Change it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, if you have feedback about the new forum software in general, please voice it in the forum created for that purpose:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

That's where the people who can actually make major changes can see your feedback.

I think that this new system is better overall, though I certainly see cons along with the pros. We're doing what we can to adapt and configure with the features that we have available. In some cases, we can change settings and layout to make things work better. We've only been at this for two days, though, so things are still in a bit of flux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd,

As always, I really value your quick and relevant responses, thank

you, you make me a happy customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inserting images is kinda wonky..  It's hard to insert them where I want the image to appear, and I lose the scroll bars and it's hard to navigate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, it looks like I've lost the screen name "Aaron Cobb" forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think having the button "Up to Discussions in Adobe After Effects" at the bottom of the page too would be very helpful, that way we wouldn't need to scroll back up when were done reading a thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you convert you screen nanme when the old forums were still active or was there another Adobe ID with your name? If it's not taken, you can always change your Adobe ID and the forum should reflect that.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did link my old forum account with my Adobe ID.  However, way back during the first abortive attempt at revamping the forums, when I had to choose a screen name to associate with my Adobe ID for use on the then-new forum, "Aaron Cobb" was flagged as already in use.  I had to choose something else, and in my frustration I finally went with "A. Cobb".  It looks like that choice didn't die with the first "new" forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once the opening furore dies down, Aaron, I'll drop a note to the Forum Boss and see if he can't rescue your name from the system if it's not otherwise being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still getting the hang of the new system, but I think that I like it overall. There are pros and cons, with pros outweighing cons. And I have more confidence with this system that we can configure things to improve based on feedback.

I just added a banner at the top of this forum.

I also just created a new FAQ list subforum. I'll start to flesh that out this week, and I'll invite others to help out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be cool if the main forums.adobe.com would show icons of my last visited forums. Because really?  Photoshop Elements? Flex? Kinda schizo. I have to use the popup menu every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be cool if the main forums.adobe.com would show icons of my last visited forums. Because really?  Photoshop Elements? Flex? Kinda schizo. I have to use the popup menu every time.

What if you bookmarked this page: History page showing recently viewed forums ?

Then you'd always come to a page from which you could navigate to your favorite forums. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A typical example of webbloat imposed on helpless visitors by programmers and designers who have grandiose personal agendas.  The controls are too complicated, the interface has too many presentation/view/automation options, and there's too much for the casual user to configure.

All I want is to log into the AE forum automatically. I have not been able to figure out if that's even possible. I might be able to figure it out but I don't want to bother; it should just work.

bogiesan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another glitch or user error is I am recieving an email everytime someone replies to this thread, even though I don't have the "Receive email notifications" button on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

email_reply_preference.png

Have you set the preferences shown above (which you can get to through Your Stuff > Preferences)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was it - thanks Todd!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happened to the daily email digests? If they are gone, the emails sent by this forum needs to be reformatted so that Gmail understands the threading instead of every email becoming a new conversation.

Getting 100+ messages sorted by the time they were sent is just plain painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure is!  My email account is a mess ever since Monday! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines