Exit

No Real time playback in After Effect

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have a very big problem !
My PC specs are : 64gb RAM , core i7 6850k, GTX 1080 Ti 11gb, 500gb SSD ,Windows 10 pro
I Have After Effect 2017.2
My problem is that when I'm working on a video or something i click on space-bar (to preview my work), But it doesnt start normally it usually tells me that the FPS is 15 fps and it lags too much!
Although i give the adobe applications 50gb RAM and I enabled CUDA for GTX 1080 Ti with 8gb of Texture Memory and Ray Tracing is on GPU and Disk Cache is 100GB
Please Help me!!
Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

I think the only big problem you have is lack of AE knowledge. 

First, you can NEVER expect to work like a video editing application,  where you just press the space bar and everything plays back in real time. AE IS NOT A VIDEO EDITOR.  It's an effects, compositing and motion graphics application, used for very different purposes than a video editor,  It functions differently than a video editor. Particularly in the way you view your work -- you don't play, you PREVIEW.  tOTALLY DIFFERENT.

I enco

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

I found a way who are searching for, even when this solution doesn't work,
Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 7.23.32 AM.png

please unselect the circled option which enables motion controls while previewing, its slows down playback even if full timeline is cached.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the only big problem you have is lack of AE knowledge. 

First, you can NEVER expect to work like a video editing application,  where you just press the space bar and everything plays back in real time. AE IS NOT A VIDEO EDITOR.  It's an effects, compositing and motion graphics application, used for very different purposes than a video editor,  It functions differently than a video editor. Particularly in the way you view your work -- you don't play, you PREVIEW.  tOTALLY DIFFERENT.

I encourage you to go to AE Help and look at the section on Viewing and Previewing.  There are a WHOLE lot of ways to preview that can help.

A good deal of quality time spent here won't hurt, either.....

After Effects tutorials | Learn how to use After Effects CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly which video on this help page is supposed to help?  I have the same problem.  I'm not looking learned everything before I can learn something.  And, I am NOT pressing the space bar.  I push play.  The video sometimes stops and replays the same section but always it says not in real time.  The video was created in CS5.  I am using CC.  I seem to see this when the original video is somewhat sophisticated in its effects and not for simpler videos.  Again, I'm not looking to study everything on the help site.  I am looking for straightforward help with what should be a common and obvious issue with playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you don't know how to fix it... smart guy.... pffff...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You set AE to cache frames for preview. You hit the zero key on the numeric keypad.  AE previews as much as memory & cache will allow and as fast as they'll allow.  This ain't a video editor, Sparky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ain't a solution!

You see, I have enough memory for work all day on AE cc 2019. But always come those times, when he says - F#@# you, I am tired! .... So I save -> restart system  -> load and !ta-da! it is working again, till next time it's not.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Dave, question. Being as it is that AfterEffects is not a video editor designed for real-time editing, than how do motion designers and animators properly test their animations if they can't see them? How do professionals know how to distance key frames so that they play back organically? Is it just experience, lots of exporting and testing, or another specific method? I'm a graphic design student and I'm just learning the ropes here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you work on timing, there is no need for a crystal clear image, if you work on imagery, there is no need for realtime playback.

Most of the time, I work with quarter resolution, sometimes I also skip frames. Also, I use the render area a lot. Mostly it is just a few seconds, sometimes even just a few frames. I press 0 on numpad to render this area only and watch the preview of this part, alternate the values and watch again until I'm happy with the result.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin, how can you say "there is no need for realtime playback"? How are you the authority on all motion design? These users have all worked very hard to minimize the resolution of their playback just to get a full framerate. How can you "work on timing" - as you say- without previewing at full frame-rate? This is a serious issue for video creators expecting professional-grade workflows, not highly-compromised shots in the dark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Dave doesn't care to answer your very legitimate question. He would prefer to berate the creatives who came here for support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is some miscommunication here. What I think @MRseif123 is suffering from, is that the cached RAM preview doesn't play in realtime. I am suffering from the same problem once in a while, on a 96gB machine with 3,2gHz 16 core Xeon W, Radeon Vega II, 4tB SSD and 16 tB 4 disk Raid. Can't even play quarter resolution RAM previews in realtime, while Full HD youtube and every other video is running smoothly. That's kind of unexpected, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how this could possibly be the "correct answer." Nobody expects real time rendering in After Effects. What we expect is to press the spacebar, AE will render the work area frames, store it in cache or RAM, and once it's done, play it back at the correct framerate. That's how it used to work, but Adobe decided to completely scrap the RAM preview workflow and it's been a pain ever since. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol did you fix your attitude yet? Or are you always this unsufferable 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way who are searching for, even when this solution doesn't work,
Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 7.23.32 AM.png

please unselect the circled option which enables motion controls while previewing, its slows down playback even if full timeline is cached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I don't think that is a solution. Most of the time people don't want the controls in their previews, so that option is switched off in 99,999% of the cases, at least in my situation. More: I really never used it in 20+ years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working with After Effects since it was Cosa Effects. Maybe version 2, I can't remember now. However, this is a huge workflow fail on Adobe's part. No designer, animator or editor can justify or rationalize this fail in playback workflow. I haven't worked with After Effects in a while and I'm stunned to see such a downgrade in effeciency. Even if the visuals would fail, there's no reason audio playback should slow or slur. It's seems embarassinly horrible to think a client could hear their audio playback could sound like a dying battery or stalling car engine. It's simply poor programming and design.  It's a lack of regard to time tested and true workflow. Under "no" circumstances should a 12core MacPro be unable able to play audio on time. No software love or ego can make sense of this level of dysfunctionality. I can simulate 3D destruction effect in Houdini, Maya and real time, MoCap characters in MotionBuilder with real Time audio playing in the background yet slur, sluggish audio in After Effects? Where is the "Adobe Blank Face" Feature?  It would be smarter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! You have to set your monitor resolution to 1920x1080. Than you should get you full fps playback if you play you cached ram. After Effects still can't handle higher resolutions well. With 1080p you also get rid of the UI lag. It's obviously bad programming or ubscaling process from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is also a difference if you use AFX windowed or fukll screen on you monitor (Windows 10). Don't know about mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

after testing a little bit it seems to depend only on your window size of afx, no matter what resolution your monitor is set to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines