• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OCIO / ACES Color Management in Media Encoder?

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new native OCIO color management in After Effects works great for me - but only if I export using the Render Que, where I can control the final Output Color Space using Color Tab of the Output Module.  This allows me to export my ACES footage as ACES/sRGB (olor_picking: Output - sRGB and Output/Output - sRGB options also work).  Using that export setting makes my exported footage match my working settings in After Effects using the OCIO ACES color management.

But I see no way of doing this in Media Encoder.  The footage is always exported way too dark.  And the only output color options I see are greyed out.Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 11.38.32 AM.png

See screenshot.

I am using macOS 12.6.3

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the help page I originally referenced (along with he Adobe video tutorial) to get ACES working with my footage.  Unfortunately, it dosen't address Media Encoder - which is not properly outputting my footage the way the internal render queue does.  So back to my original question: Is the new OCIO Color Management System working with clips exported via Media Encoder?  And if so, how to set that up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUMP.  Still no answer for how to export OCIO / ACES workflows from Media Encoder since the Export Color Space option is greyed out on my M1 Mac Mini. Guess I will have to contact support directly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Have you found the answer? I have the similar problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I have not seen a solution. However, the beta version of AE has implemented a bunch of OCIO features which I have not yet explored.  Maybe the functionality has been aded there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a workaround for this. Though the OCIO workflow is integrated in AE 2024, there's no option I found in media encoder. So what I did is adding an adjustment layer with OCIO display transform and set the display color space to ACES/raw to correctly preview it. Voila!

You can then just hit render in Media encoder and it will come correctly.

Wasif29765159a904_0-1704656791101.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi !

You should go in the Media Encoder Preferences panel and check the box Auto detect log video color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines