• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(On Mac) Need to export alpha channel video for use on a PC.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I have no problem exporting as animation with Alpha channel included.

This is fine for me on a Mac as it's an .mov

But the file is for somebody using a PC and they can't work with it.

Obviously I can't export as AVI which would solve the problem.

I don't want to export as an image sequence because the video has audio.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Elliott:

I can think of two things:

Plan A:

Start with the "Lossless with Alpha" Output Module.  In the Format Options, change the Video Codec from Animation to "None (Uncompressed RGB 8-bit)".  When the movie finishes rendering, change the .mov file extension to .avi.  Send a short test file ahead of time before committing to the entire animation.  This should work.

Plan B:

Gain access to a Windows machine (that is, install Bootcamp or go to your local Costco or Best Buy and purchase a box).  Ideal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can always export an image sequence with a audio file same duration. that's a good option. An uncompressed video should work too. or you can export an avi from quicktime 7 or ask them if there is any other video codec that will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly image sequence isn't a viable option for me in this scenario.

Uncompressed video is 'Animation' but is exported as a .mov - that's the problem.

If you convert a .MOV to .AVI in a converter program, it's pretty much guaranteed not to carry across the alpha channel.

Thanks anyway though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always thought animation is not uncompressed. Animation is an apple codec if I'm not wrong.

I was talking about choosing codec none. *uncompressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mariano, you are correct.  The Animation CODEC is 2:1 compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are they going to be doing with the video?  You say they're going to be "working with it".  What does that mean?  If they need an alpha channel it assumes they are going to be compositing it or editing it in some way?  Point is what they're planning on doing with the it may have some relevance on how you might deliver it?  No?  Makes sense.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a custom branded video intro that they are using for their own videos. So when they put a video together on Sony Vegas (PC) they will place this at the front over the top of their video. Hence the alpha channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Sony Vegas.  And so why can't you deliver an image sequence with a separate audio file? Also to the question Mike asked.  The security issue with quicktime on WIndows is with the player, not the codec.  Working with a .mov file should not be an issue.  I have windows 10 and and I render all my videos as uncompressed quicktime before converting them to .mp4 in Media Encoder for delivery.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because they aren't computer savvy. They just need a drag and drop alpha channel video with everything included inside. I appreciate the response but that's why I bolded the 'I don't want to use an image sequence' part. I'm just wondering if anybody knows of another option to do this and make it cross compatible. I'm fully aware of all the other options, that's why I mentioned them in the original post.

The reason why you don't have an issue is because you're converting them to .mp4 which doesn't support an alpha channel.

This is specifically about alpha channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so no image sequence.  You still have not answered why you cant provide a .mov file.   Even if they are not savvy enough to install the quicktime 7 codec I'm fairly certain Vegas has native support for quicktime.   So there shouldn't be any issue dragging a .mov file into Vegas doing whatever they going to do and the rendering it out as whatever format they want. 

PS you said you didn't want to use a sequence because there was audio, NOT because the client wont know what to do with it.  Just for the record.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an issue with them installing QT on their windows machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes because they're not playing it, they're using it in Sony Vegas on a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just ASK THEM WHAT THEY NEED?

Surely if they've been running Vegas for a while, they can TELL you the kinds of files they require.

Now, i realize that getting on the horn, calling them up and asking a simple question may be a radical notion in this day and age, but I tell you --  It's a lot better than trying to use a crystal ball, which is what you're presently doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have missed the point. DAVE LARONDE.

If I were running after effects on a PC, I would output AVI Animation with Alpha Channel included.

However, as stated I am running a Mac, Which can only output a .MOV Animation with Alpha Channel included.

If I could also output AVI I would do that instead. I have also stated that I wish to keep it as one file rather than separate audio files with an image sequence. (Did you read that part?)

They are producing simple in-house videos for their brand - they aren't a production contractor with specific specifications.

I realise that reading the actual original post is a 'radical notion in this day and age' but don't go off on one when you haven't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it seems to me you'll have purchase one of Telestream's fine products for file conversion. They're sure to have something that will do the trick. 

Or nose around on the internet to find a freebie file converter and take your chances.

This ain't exactly rocket science.  You either pay and get something that's sure to work, or roll the dice on a freebie.

Heck, now that I think about it, Adobe Media Encoder might be able to do the job, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This ain't exactly rocket science.

Thank god for that.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong wrong and Wrong.

Media Encoder does not have AVI output on Mac only the option to render as an alpha channel rather than with an alpha channel.

Converters will not retain an alpha channel within the footage and will flatten it into their preset output settings.

This is a niche question with possibly no solution which is why I'm asking if anybody has found one.

I've stated that there ARE other options and the reasons why I would not like to use them, due to simplicity for the client.

Don't assume I'm a novice. Apparently it is rocket science, Dave.

There are currently only 2 options for me as I see it:

Render as an image sequence with a separate audio channel (stated that I would not like to do that).

Or render one mp4 with the audio + video and a separate video as an alpha mask. (would prefer not to do that either).

My question is simple, has anybody found another way to make an alpha channel video cross compatible? I'll take it as a no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VEGAS SUPPORTS QUICKTIME!!!!!     We're not stupid.  We read your posts.  Problem is you can't put water in a full cup. Know what I mean?  You seem to be stuck on the notion you cannot use .mov on windows.  

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He can not import a .MOV into his Sony Vegas - he has tried, he has quicktime installed, it does not work.

Why do you think I'm posting in these forums?

No, people do not read the posts:

"I do not want to export an image sequence"

"Why don't you export as image sequence?"

etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a different reason why you can't do stuff every time.  First you said couldn't use .mov because it was windows. Now you give a different reason.  You did the same with sequence. First u couldn't do it because there was audio.  Then because the "alleged" friend wouldn't know what to do with it.  Now you just don't want to.  We're trying to help you ......

[Moderator note: final comments removed. Please refrain from personalized comments.]

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the different reason?

If anything I'm elaborating on more information when somebody tries to answer question B and C when I only asked question A.

I just want a simple video + alpha channel + audio as stated.

Maybe there is a way to get AE or Media Converter to export to AVI in the same way the windows version can export to MOV and AVI - that would be a solution..

I know my OTHER options.

I can only export .mov and he can't use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you know your options then why are you asking?    Duh!

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey you don't need to get mad.

I already gave you a solution, but maybe you didn't get it.

Export the video from AE in quicktime with coded none *uncompressed then open it on quicktime 7 and export it to .avi with millions of colors + alpha.

you will end up with an AVI file with alpha with codec uncompressed that I'm sure they will be able to use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't getting mad (or at all) at you Marinano, I was replying to the two others who were questioning why I don't want to use the methods I stated. I appreciated your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elliott:

I can think of two things:

Plan A:

Start with the "Lossless with Alpha" Output Module.  In the Format Options, change the Video Codec from Animation to "None (Uncompressed RGB 8-bit)".  When the movie finishes rendering, change the .mov file extension to .avi.  Send a short test file ahead of time before committing to the entire animation.  This should work.

Plan B:

Gain access to a Windows machine (that is, install Bootcamp or go to your local Costco or Best Buy and purchase a box).  Ideally, it would already have the same version of AE installed.  If not, you can install AE via your Creative Cloud membership (if you're using the plan for individuals and you already have two machines active, CC will prompt you to log out of one of the other two machines).  Render the AVI with Alpha.   (If you purchased a Windows machine in step one from Costco, return it.)

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines