• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Only affect X value in graph editor not Y or vice versa

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am from a 3D BG but doing some AE stuff. In the Graph editor when i select an ease in/out tangent and only want it to affect X for example - not Y, but it changes both. Any ideas?

Thanks. Jim

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

If you separate dimensions you can have access to bezzier controls (speed is much more useful than value when editing position). The problem with separating dimensions is that you loose the ability to edit a curve in the Comp panel. 

Here's a tutorial I made on the most efficient workflow to edit motion paths with the graph editor.

If you want to precisely create a curved motion path then change the timing of the X or Y value you will probably be better off creating the accurate motion path f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you separate dimensions you can have access to bezzier controls (speed is much more useful than value when editing position). The problem with separating dimensions is that you loose the ability to edit a curve in the Comp panel. 

Here's a tutorial I made on the most efficient workflow to edit motion paths with the graph editor.

If you want to precisely create a curved motion path then change the timing of the X or Y value you will probably be better off creating the accurate motion path first, then separate dimensions to try and modify the timing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks my friend. Seperate worked perfect for what i need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not 100% on what the speed editor is actually for tbh, the x y curves work for my 2D character animation needs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The speed graph controls when things happen. The tutorial shows that. I used a character rig to demonstrate the mechanical arm timing. Used the pen tools (g) and Alt/Option to adjust the motion path, then the speed graph to mimic human or mechanical arm movements. Editing the timing is a critical part of any animation. Combine that with Anticipation, Squash and Stretch, and  Bounce and Overshoot and you have the complete package. Here's a book anyone interested in improving their animation skill should read several times.

I must have read that book 10 times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes i have this and the animators survival kit. Both awesome. I will look at speed graph, but the graph editor works like in 3D which i am usually working with 3D stuff. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines