• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open multiple projects at once?

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a dumb question, but I am new to AE and can't figure it out. How do I open a project file without it closing the project that is currently open? Basically, I want to open a .aep file and have it show up as a new "tab" next to the composition that is currently open. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

You can only have one project open at a time in After Effects.

The way you've phrased your question suggests that you may not be clear on the difference between an AE project file (project.aep) and a composition. It's the Composition(s) that you see as tabs in the timeline. One project may have one, or multiple compositions in it. If you're uncertain about this I'd strongly suggest you review a few basic tutorials at: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/tutorials.html

However, you can import

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only have one project open at a time in After Effects.

The way you've phrased your question suggests that you may not be clear on the difference between an AE project file (project.aep) and a composition. It's the Composition(s) that you see as tabs in the timeline. One project may have one, or multiple compositions in it. If you're uncertain about this I'd strongly suggest you review a few basic tutorials at: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/tutorials.html

However, you can import one project into an exisiting project. Simply by using the 'File > Import' menu option, or by double clicking in the project panel. This will import the project in it's own folder, with all the related compositions and assets. You can then double click one, or more, of the imported compositions to open them as tabs in the Timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this workaraound for Windows will help:

• make a shortcut (on desktop/taskbar)
  • rightclick > properties (on taskbar use shift/rightclick)
  • in the line "target" add after the closing quotation <SPACE>-m so it looks like ...AfterFX.exe" -m

Now every time you use the shortcut a multiple instance of AfterEffects will open. Then you can open a project in each instance.. 

Sorry - my english isn't the best - hope you understand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the actual correct answer and this is how nuke operates.  Perfect for when I have to have multiple projects open at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Lionidas-Meisenberg for the only correct answer in this post. Works perfectly.

Gotta love how everyone else, even dedicated support member answers that it's not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While we can force multiple instances of After Effects to be open at the same time, the application isn't designed to work like that.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can import as many AEP files as you like and After Effects will add folders to the Project Panel that contain the assets and the comps in that project. You can open as many compositions as you like in After Effects and they will show up as tabs in the timeline panel. The Composition Panel will not have tabs by default but you can create a New Viewer, lock the view, then drag the composition panels into a tabbed stack, but I don't see the point. The comp Panel will automatically switch to the comp that is selected in the timeline.

You should spend some time in the Learn workspace to become acquainted with the UI and you should also spend a fair amount of time with the User Guide. Just poking around in the UI or searching YouTube for tutorials is an extremely inefficient way to learn how to use After Effects efficiently. You should also be very careful about the tutorials you choose. Most of the "I can't figure this out" problems I help people solve come from poorly explained tutorials with poor workflows prepared by enthusiasts with good intentions but pretty crummy recipes for the projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use AEAE, a very usefull app. It only works for mac, though. http://www.andrewandoru.com/labs/aeae/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like other said, you can not have 2 instances of Ae running at the same time. However, you can open a project and import other project files in. Just drag and drop the projects you want into your projects panel and you will be able to nav it like normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines