• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening Old Projects

Explorer ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have old projects. 20+ year career and all that. Some were made on AE 7 (not CS7, actually 7). Some on CS6, and so on.

Aparently I can no longer open these projects on either 2020 or 2021, which are the only two versions now available to download.

Any smart ideas?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ron.ganbar. You can register older versions if you still have the serial at account.adobe.com/products.  

Dont't know if  you can buy any of those anymore, but welcome to the internet where anything is possible.

You can however download down to after effects 16.0.1 if you click on the three dots in you creative cloud app and select older versions. But it isn't very likely to open a AE7 project. But CS6 it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Valter.

Version 16 is no longer available:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(forgot to add the picture)

2021-05-06 12_54_11-Clipboard.png

And this is the error message I'm getting:

OlAEProject.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, maybe the best way is to "buy" an older version. Or try to find the software somewhere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would have been good to have had a converter of some kind, but I guess it's not worth it for Adobe to develop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked my Archives. This is the oldest sample comp I have from one of my old tutorials: Rolling Square (8.0.1). Looks like November 2007 was the last time I updated my archives. I guess I should put it on the calendar. I've got about 1500 AEP's on my storage array and that's the oldest update. Some of the projects started out in 1995, but I usually review the archives and update files if I think I'll ever need them again.

AE 2021 has no problem opening the Rolling Square project for me. If you can post a link to your problem file I'd be glad to give it a go. I have an older Mac with earlier versions of AE on it. I'd be glad to fire it up and see if the file can be converted. No need to include footage because you can just relink it if needed later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rick Gerard,

Attaching one of my projects. It doesn't open on 2021 or 2020.

Any magic things you can do?

FYI, can't attach so here's a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7a7egayd93fl4e/Degrassi_5.aep?dl=0

Thanks,

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try and dig my old Mac Mini out of storage and try to update the file this weekend. I'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rick Gerard that's sounds like a big job. If you can't be bothered, I totally understand.

I'm just trying to figure out what version of AE I need to get in order to open this. I can then obtain it and convert.

Thanks though!

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines