• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pick whip is not working

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can someone please help, im trying to parent this paper effects clip to one of my roto brushed duplicates, but its not working. its supposed to outline his body. the duplicate i want to parent to is scaled in a bit if that helps understanding. ive never done this before so i dont know what the problem is at all. please help. what should i check? Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 11.37.45 PM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

i will upload a picture of what i'm trying to do, basically, i want the paper effect to outline his body. i am not animiating the clip of the player because i was watching a tutorial but got lost when i couldn't figure out the pick whip. 

what i did in the process so far was

1 roto brush my player

2 duplicate the clip

3 remove the roto brush on the duplicated clip

4 duplicate the actual roto brushed clip to have two of them. one without roto brush.

5 it then tells you to scale up the second roto brus

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying you want the paper texture to be cut out just like the player is? If so, you need to use your roto'd clip as an Alpha Track Matte for the paper effect. If you're trying to parent the motion of the texture to the player, are you animating the clip of the player to move it across the screen, or is the motion happening within the clip? If the latter, then you need to motion track the player since parenting only affects layer position, scale, and rotation. Please be a little more specific with what you're trying to do, but I'm sure there's a reasonably easy solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i will upload a picture of what i'm trying to do, basically, i want the paper effect to outline his body. i am not animiating the clip of the player because i was watching a tutorial but got lost when i couldn't figure out the pick whip. 

what i did in the process so far was

1 roto brush my player

2 duplicate the clip

3 remove the roto brush on the duplicated clip

4 duplicate the actual roto brushed clip to have two of them. one without roto brush.

5 it then tells you to scale up the second roto brushed clip to 115

6 bring in the paper effects clip right above that clip

7 parent it to the clip you just scaled in

at that point in the video, the paper effect is outlined his body, but on mine it never did, that's where i'm stuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha, thanks for the context. There are multiple pick whips in AE and you're using the layer pick whip to parent, but if you look closer at the tutorial, you'll see they're pulling the pick whip from a different column to make a track matte. At the bottom of your Timeline, click the "toggle switches/modes" button to reveal the track matte columns. Now your Timeline panel should more closely match the tutorial. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this worked, thank you so much for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines