• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playhead or Preview Time not syncing across all sub comps?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing several animations with mutiple characters layered in a main comp. Each character is in its own individual comp. I have a viewer open for the main comp and each of the individual character's comps. When I adjust the playhead in the main comp the preview time for each sub comp updates to the new playhead time. When I am working in a character's sub comp and adjust the playhead the time preivew for that character's comp updates and the time preview for the main comp updates to the new time BUT the other character's comp time preview does not update! How do you make the playhead position or preview time sync across all sub comps? It is really important to be able to adjust one character in relation to another and see how they are reading together in the main comp. 

I have have the Synchronize Time of All Related Items preference checked but that is not working for the subcomps. 

Is this a new problem? I don't remember this being a issue in years past. 

Any assistance will be appreciated. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Aha, try this: copy sub comp1 into sup comp 2 and hide it, this way all comps are related now and should synch together

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOT sync.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This usually happens if you have a duplicated comp in your main timeline and the duplicate is shifted in time, this will frustrate AE and cause a shift in synching

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I don't think the scenario you describe is what is causing this problem. Both character sub comps start at time 00:00 in the main timeline. If I move the playhead in either sub comp the playhead in the other sub comp gets out of sync because it does not update. Getting them to all update every time a playhead is moved is what I want to be able to get after effects to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha, try this: copy sub comp1 into sup comp 2 and hide it, this way all comps are related now and should synch together

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! that forces them to be in sync. 

That is crazy kludge but it works. Not sure why they wouldn't just be in sync or have a preference to make them sync or not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m a g i c!

thanks a lot, this was driving me crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines