• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Point Text entry in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When typing a text string (point text) into a single After Effects text layer, how do I end one phase and start another by setting keyframes? I want to enter about 30 separate phrases at about 4 seconds apart.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's best that you use Paragraph Text to make things a lot easier. Otherwise, you'll have to create tricky Expressions to create line breaks at appropriate/strategic parts of the text string AND this will change if you change font attributes.

So, use Paragraph Text and apply the AE Text Preset Buzzwords. Once applied, change the buzzwords to your phrases.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Roland.  I tried this but I must be doing something wrong.  When I apply the buzz word preset I get an alert saying "The project contains an expression error: error 1 of 1."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then use the Pop Buzzwords preset which doesn't use Expressions but uses keyframes for the Source Text property.

Then do a screen cap of the Error Message. I've just applied the Buzz Words preset and have no issues.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same error for the Pop Buzz Words, too.  Here are screen shots of both attempts.

Screenshot of Pop Buzz Words.jpgScreenshot of Buzz Words preset.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When typing a text string (point text) into a single After Effects text layer, how do I end one phase and start another by setting keyframes?

Simply don't! What's stopping you from using multiple layers in the first place? It may get crowded in the timeline, but it's most definitely more visual than messing with a ton of source text keyframes, even more so once you need to apply text animators on top. In the latter case copying the keyframes over and over just to reset the values far outweighs any advantages doing it on a single layer may have...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium,

Sorry for the delay response.  A while back I saw an experienced Ae user type phrases of text for a title sequence spacing their timing using keyframes.  Unfortunately, I forgot how he did it.  I am trying Roland's recommendations in this thread; so far without success.  I may end up using multiple layers as you suggest.

Many thanks, Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My approach to complex typography problems is to create multiple text layers in Photoshop with each text element in its hero position, import as a comp, convert to editable text if you need to use text animators, and go from there. Multiple line text animations with different font sizes are much easier to set up this way. Then you can just sequence the layers, adjust the in and out points as needed and complete your animation in very little time.

For creating a bunch of lower 1/3's I almost always use a script to retrieve the copy, but if there are just a few I will use the AE/PPro graphics integration to set things up and just edit the names in Premiere. The most efficient technique depends entirely on the project. Experience will teach you how to get the job done in the least amount of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Rick!  Sounds good.  I'm relatively new at this.  What do you mean by "hero position?"  Couldn't find it in my Photoshop internet searches.  Also, saw your response Grouping text layers in Lyrics Video? which is similar to what I am trying to do.  I am completing a video special effects class assignment to create a 2 minute opening credits sequence for a movie. So, I am trying to find the most efficient way to enter several separated words and phrases of point text.  This will also be very helpful as I do music videos of songs that I write.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RonaldF,

Did you complete your project? What did you end up doing to solve your issue?

Let us know!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am waiting to hear back from Roland & Rick.  Meanwhile, I am working on other aspects of the project.  Do you have any additional suggestions?  My former teacher said that there are several ways to do just about everything in Ae.

!I appreciate you checking in Kevin.  Thx, Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron let me try to help you

When typing a text string (point text) into a single After Effects text layer, how do I end one phase and start another by setting keyframes? I want to enter about 30 separate phrases at about 4 seconds apart.

the most easy approach is just set a keyframe in the source text property.

001.gif

another way is to use the buzz words preset. for this you do NOT need keyframes. simply highlight the text layer and press on the preset twice to apply it. then type EE to reveal the expression. notice you can type in the expression text field the words you want to apply. be careful, you don't want to change anything but the text itself. you are changing a java script code, anything out of the ordinary will result in an expression error:

002.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ron,

Check out Roei's response. Please mark it as correct if it works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines