• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Portrait video import to AE

New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am trying to import a portrait video 1920 x 1080. When I import it, it is loaded into the Project panel which is landscape which I can't change. This process cuts off the top of my video. Even if I resize the composition to 1920 x 1080, when I drag the video from the Project panel, my video remain in landscape format with the top of the video cut. Resizing the video here just distorts. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds more like the footage has a wrong orientation metadata tag which the programs are misinterpreting, meaning the vertical orientation is not genuinely baked into the video, but rather just applied on playback. Does it open correctly in other programs like VLC? Have you considered converting it e.g. in Handbrake? Even a quick transcode there would fix the issue most likely.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the problem, handbrake is a really useful open source tool! Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the footage thumbnail cropped in the preview in the Project panel? What are the properties that are showing to the right of the thumbnail?

Double click the footage in the Project Panel and see if it is cropped when you view it in the Footage panel. If it is, then there is something fouled up in the metadata. If you see the entire frame, scaling the footage in the Timeline should fix the cropping problem in the Comp Panel. 

Let us know. Embedding a screenshot that shows the entire UI with the problem footage selected in the Project panel and the properties of the problem layer showing in the Timeline would help us help you.

* The "Drag & Drop here..." area is buggy and should not be used to share images. Please use the toolbar or drag your images to the reply field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick. It was the meta data. I'm pretty sure the root cause was the footage bring captured on the iphone 13 cinematic mode. It's not compatable with much and needs convertion before use in other software. This conversion process must have been flawed. Handbrake sorted it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines