• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem resizing composition with 3D layers.

Participant ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have a 2560 x 720 composition in which all of my 3D layers are positioned to my liking:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.43.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.43.25 PM.png

I need to resize this composition to 1280 x 720, but when I do so, my layers don't keep their assigned positions.

Here is what I do.

I create a new camera:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.43.47 PM.png

So far, so good:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.53.47 PM.png

But when I resize the composition, THIS happens:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.44.01 PM.png

The problem is, I need the composition to crop from the left in order to get that result:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.44.30 PM.png

But obviously, when I reposition my elements or my camera, everything shifts!

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.44.25 PM.png

So how do I resize my composition from the left while keeping all of my elements in place?

I tried this, but it doesn't work!

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.57.42 PM.png

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have 2 options. The first is to create a new comp the size you want, then drag the existing comp into the new comp, collapse transformations, then add the Camera and Lights to the new comp. I do that kind of workflow all the time and it is by far the most efficient.

The second option is to go to the File/Scripts/Demo Pallet menu and choose the Scale Composition option, then enter a new width for the composition. You'll then need to add a camera or reposition the camera to frame up the part of the scene you want to see. Personally, I'd just nest the comp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer!

Here is what happens with the first option.

I do the precomposition:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.33.13 PM.png

I create a new composition:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.33.26 PM.png

I put the precomposition in the new composition and position it the way I want:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.33.39 PM.png

I hit the 3D icon and the collapse transformations icon, and everything shifts:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.33.51 PM.png

I tried to correct the situation with a camera, but nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what happens with the second option.

I go to the File/Scripts/Demo Pallet menu and choose the Scale Composition option, then I enter the new width for the composition:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.44.02 PM.png

a

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.44.08 PM.png

Then I adjust the height of the composition:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.44.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.44.25 PM.png

The, with a camera, I add a camera and reposition it to frame up the part of the scene I want to see. When we compare with the original, everything shifts again:

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.45.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.45.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution and will share it tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you pre-compose a 3-D layer you just collapse transformations, you never make the Pre-comp 3D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent. But the layers' positions still shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The geometry does not shift position, but a different camera position in the main comp will effect parallax and perspective. Focal Length is framing, camera position determines the perspective and the relationship between objects at different distances from the camera (parallax). It's that way in real life with a real camera, and it is that way in AE and any 3D app as long as you are not using isometric views like AE's Custom Views.

With collapse transformations turned on, the 3D position of a layer in the pre-comp will be exactly the same as it would be if the layer was in the main comp. There is no difference, there is no position shift. Take a look at this project file and this animated gif:

CT.gif

Properly set up the 3D scene and you can move the camera around any way you like. 

If the relative position of the layers changes when you pre-compose then you are either not looking at the active camera view or there is a camera that is not being used in your pre-comp. There is no bug in the workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Without collapse transformation:

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 1.54.59 PM.png

With collapse transformation:

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 1.55.07 PM.png

In the precomposition:

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 1.55.19 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uploaded by Christian Bélanger on 2020-10-31.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Above is the solution I found for myself. Thanks for everything! I appreciate it a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found out that by linking the 3d camera to a null layer and then rescale the null layer to the desired resolution was a solution. But maybe only works with scaling with the same aspect ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines