• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Setting First Vertex (AE)

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I am creating a simple open mask.  All my other masks are behaving like little angels, but two refuse to change their "first vertex"... the mask simply closes, linking with the vertex that I want to be the last.  I am transforming this mask into a write-on, so it is important that it goes in the right direction.  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have problems using the selection tool to select vertices. This method always works:

1. Make sure the pen tool (g) is active
  2. Select the mask path in the timeline panel
  3. Hold down the Ctrl/Cmnd key to bring up the white selection pointer and drag a selection around the vertex you want to use as the first vertex
  4. Use the menu Layer>Mask and Shape Path>Set first vertex
  5. Set a mask keyframe for the path
  6. Cut the mask keyframe using Ctrl/Cmnd + x
  7. Add Write the Write On effect
  8. Set a keyframe for Brush Position
  9. Paste (Ctrl/Cmnd + v) to paste the mask path to brush position

If the path goes the wrong way you can Time Reverse keyframes by selecting the Brush Position property in the timeline then using the menu Animate>Keyframe Assistant>Time Reverse Keyframes.

FYI, I almost never use Write On. I use a shape layer path with Trim Paths added. You have a lot more control and a lot more options. Just do everything listed above but instead of adding the Write On effect, deselect all layers, use the pen tool (g) to set the first vertex anywhere in the comp panel and paste (Ctrl/Cmnd +v). This will give you a shape layer path in the same position as your mask providing the transform properties of the layer with the mask are all at their defaults. Now you can press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties of the path, change the stroke width, end caps, dashes, gaps, and then add trim paths to animate how the stroke draws on. The shape layer can then be used as a track matte. It's a much cleaner solution that retains the ability to continuously rasterize and add other shape layer animators.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I will go through all of this tomorrow.  I appreciate your thoughts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me, it has sometimes been a problem when the object was part of a group.

See, if the object lies within a group. If so, remember what layers were part of that group, then ungroup it. Ignore error messages telling you about expression errors. Try to set the first vertex now, then re-group.

Works for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines