• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet tool Legacy breaking after effects

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a continuing issue i've been having today with the latest update to After Effects
the legacy mode setting for the puppet tool seams to be breaking the entire thing. I've been trying to do some animation in conjuction with a hair simulation and Duik Bassle 2 scipts after uninstalling both and factory resetting the error is still showing up.
i'm receiving this warning.

"Warning:
Use the paint, Roto Brush, and Refine Edge tools in a layer panel. With these tools, double-click a layer to open it in a Layer panel."

after that the tool breaks and will not work until i close completely and relaunch AE
TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Scripting , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ColorFade,

Sorry for your issue with After Effects.

What's the exact version of After Effects you're using? What triggers the error - dose it happen as soon as you click the Puppet tool or it appears randomly while working? Also, is it happening on a new project as well?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem, but I think it's unrelated to the puppet tool. It does break the puppet tool and also half of my shortcuts (specifically X, which should be scrolling the timeline to that layer. Once poppup happens, X now only switches my paint foreground and background, and I can't get out of this mode).

The popup happens randomly, sometimes when just by selecting a layer to re-parent it (and I do not have the paint, roto brush or refine edge tools selected).  The puppet tool, legacy or new, does not work at all any more. Once this happens, I have to restart AE to get things to work properly again.

I had this problem before and it eventually went away... but now it's back. Very strange as I have not updated AE recently (though I did update it between the last time I got this error and now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AHA! I solvd my problem, at least. It was my tablet. For some reason the "switch to eraser mode" button was activating, which kept causing AE to switch into eraser mode. The way it workso nTablets is weird, where it moves to the tool without actually moving to the tool... anyway, I can use the tablet buttom to switch out of that mode and it fixes things, and I moved my tablet pen so it couldn't get accidentally pressed. All is good now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines