Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames" error back in CS6

Participant ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I'm quite familiar with this old error and how to avoid it and fix it but when preparing new CS6 lessons for my classes it just seems to come up again and again without any apparent relationship to the assets I'm working with. I've mostly been preparing some "What's New in CS6" lessons and have had this error come up using Evironment Layers, Raytracing lessons, Motion Tracker lessons, etc. using text, footage, solids, you name it.

The main thing that seems really telling is that before this issue happens, the blue and/or green cache bars seem to be gone within my workspace range. Purging the caches doesn't fix it but closing and reopening AE does fix it.

Using the updates AE 11.0.0.378 on OS10.6.8 MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM

All prefs are set to the defaults.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

steven

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

The After Effects CS6 (11.0.2) update was just released. It includes many bug fixes and adds some GPUs to the list of those that can be used for GPU acceleration of ray-traced 3D rendering.

Details are here: http://adobe.ly/AE1102

Note that one of the changes is the addition of a new Memory & Multiprocessing preference and an adjustment to memory handling on Mac OS to alleviate the problem seen when getting the message “After Effects error: RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback”.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The After Effects CS6 (11.0.2) update was just released. It includes many bug fixes and adds some GPUs to the list of those that can be used for GPU acceleration of ray-traced 3D rendering.

Details are here: http://adobe.ly/AE1102

Note that one of the changes is the addition of a new Memory & Multiprocessing preference and an adjustment to memory handling on Mac OS to alleviate the problem seen when getting the message “After Effects error: RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found that Videocopilot Twitch is also a culprit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2014 Aug 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my exactly this happening too! You are using Maverics?

See: "RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames" CS6 on CC and CC 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same issue, and through some simple trial and error it seems like opening Safari at the same time as AE could be part of the problem, or maybe its just a wierd coincidence.

I'm on OS X 10.7.4 - 2x2.66 quad core, 24GB ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, after some back and forth with Tim, apparently there's a memory bug in AE that they're working on. Safari also has a memory bug so it doesn't surprise me that the combo is volitile. It seems that working in AE without anything else opened is the way to do it for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found temporary  (as I hope) solution. I use small application called Purge (might be just GUI for purge terminal command) when this error arrives. No need to restart or even relaunch AE. It resolved all my problems and I'm very happy, 'cause on my old Mac Book Pro CS6 is _significaly_ faster than 5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds good.  Could you send me a link to the software please?  Thankyou.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purge seems to work for me too on a laptop MacBook Pro 17". If you have Cocktail it is also a command in that application. I still think there is something not right with AE CS6 because on the exact same machine I can run CS5 After Effects with MP on and it doesn't have a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, for a loooong while I had that same problem, purges and restarts wheren't good enough,

I even did the update posted in this forum which didn't work either.

By random chance I just found an stable solution (at least for my case).

On Preferences go to Memory & Multiprocessing. Press on the Details button.

Here is the key to understand the problem, despite having a good 16.00 on Max Usable Memory, in Max Allowed Memory I had 0.40,

meaning that the error message wasn't random or a bug, but that AE wasn't getting access to the full RAM amount.

After googleing for that problem I found in a forum that the reason behind that could be a firewall or an antivirus,

then I checked my firewall and found that I had a process blocked called dynamiclinkmanag that was trying to reach the local host (127.0.0.1).

Once I allowed the process to get through After Effects has suddenly appeared reaching also the local host

and now AE is working wonders with the RAM preview.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same error problem, in a Mac Pro, I've installed OSX Lion on a second hard drive, Installed CS6, updated CS6, but if I try to render any comp, I receive the same error mesage (works without problems, for one hour) I've erased the cache, purge all memory.

I switch to the other hard disk with Snow Leopard and CS6, and I can render any simple or complex project without any problem.

This it's my Mac Pro Specs:

Model Name:          Mac Pro

MacPro3,1, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.8 GHz, Number Of Processors:          2 Total Number Of Cores:          8

L2 Cache (per processor):          12 MB, Memory:          8 GB

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT:

Chipset Model:          ATI Radeon HD 2600, Type:          GPU, Bus:          PCIe, Slot:          Slot-1, PCIe Lane Width:          x16

VRAM (Total):          256 MB, Vendor:          ATI (0x1002), Device ID:          0x9588, Revision ID:          0x0000, ROM Revision:          113-B1480A-252, EFI Driver Version:          01.00.252

Cinema HD: Resolution:          2560 x 1600

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sad, I've been using these products for a long time and could not believe that I got this message, nor the responses to it.

I had previously been using CS5.1, but installed 6 to try the new Creative Cloud, my employer was going to pay for the monthly cost for the time being.  Since this conversation started in May and the update has been out since May, why when I download and install yesterday am I still using a faulty version.  I had to waste an hour of my time to try to correct it, then waste more time downloading the updates.

The 2 second error has gone away thankfully, eveyone that get this error, please try updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem for me too. on both my mac pros

brand new : 2.4ghz 12 core - 32gb ram - nvidia 4000 - plenty of HD space

mac pro 4,1 : 2.26ghz 8 core - 32gb ram - 2 ati radeon 5770 - plenty of hd space.

same thing happens on both machines reguardless of manual purging of cache ( 93gb ) . running with no other applications open.

is there a setting we are all missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does anyone else see in the activity monitor multiple " aeselflink " ? could this be associated with the problem?

i have 14 of those processes running - all taking up .8 cpu / 74 threads /  122mb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JImmy,

Yes. I have the same aeselflink in my Console Logs.

I have reported this last year .. and I am currently discussing the issue with Apple.

Adobe officially states that there is no problem .. and it is not an 'error'.

I am awaiting Apple's 'official' response .. but so far they said that if it shows up in the Console .. it is a problem.

I am using the Master Suite 5.5 and a 12 Core Mac Pro 2010 running OS X 10.7.4

I am not happy with the performance .. especially with the fastest Mac Pro I could buy compared to other window users who praise the software performance .. and I also have other Adobe related errors in my Console.

I have also found these errors listed on a Mac Pro 8 Core in a Apple Store running the Adobe Suite.

Check back with me for an update.

Once I get Apple's Official response ... I will install the Adobe 6.0 Suite trial and see if these error still show up in my console and cause performance issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Pharther.

i did discover what those processes are after messing around with some settings in AE. they are "multiprocessing" processes. so for earch aeselflink process you have it is directly linked to the number of threads you've selected in your AE settings. if you switch off multiprocessing and watch your activity monitor - you will notice at once all those processes quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same ridiculous issue here... what is the point of multiprocessers and 16GB ram if the software can't take advantage of it. Turning off MP doesn't really seem like a good solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly ... especially when I purchased the Master Suite that stated in it's advertisment about taking advantage of multiprocessors ... ( the same reason I bought a 12 core Mac Pro )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed it when I changed "Ram reserved for other aplications" from 3 to 1,5 (I have a MacBook Pro with 4 Gb Ram). I don´t know why.

Javi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2014 Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem still persists two years later and is worse than ever! I can't even work for more than 15 minutes without getting the error and having to restart. I do this for a living. Help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2014 Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playroom Creative wrote:

The problem still persists two years later and is worse than ever! I can't even work for more than 15 minutes without getting the error and having to restart. I do this for a living. Help!!!

Playroom, if you've read through this thread, you will see that this message can be caused by many different things.

If you want help, you will need to give us a lot more information so we can narrow down what is causing the problem for you.

For example, what version of AE are you running? (I mean, EXACTLY what version - down to the last decimal point.) Same question about your operating system. What effects are you using? Etc. etc. etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2014 Aug 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam, help!

The problem is happening in CS6 CC and CC 2014

MacBoock retina 4G 2013

After CS6 11.0.4.2

Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.4

Effects:

Unsharp Mask

Ms Fire Vignette

Duik 13.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EVentura, what happens if you do a project that doesn't use those three effects?

If it works fine, try adding back in one effect at a time until you find the one with the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I'll try! and come back with the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines