Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames" error back in CS6

Participant ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I'm quite familiar with this old error and how to avoid it and fix it but when preparing new CS6 lessons for my classes it just seems to come up again and again without any apparent relationship to the assets I'm working with. I've mostly been preparing some "What's New in CS6" lessons and have had this error come up using Evironment Layers, Raytracing lessons, Motion Tracker lessons, etc. using text, footage, solids, you name it.

The main thing that seems really telling is that before this issue happens, the blue and/or green cache bars seem to be gone within my workspace range. Purging the caches doesn't fix it but closing and reopening AE does fix it.

Using the updates AE 11.0.0.378 on OS10.6.8 MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM

All prefs are set to the defaults.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

steven

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

The After Effects CS6 (11.0.2) update was just released. It includes many bug fixes and adds some GPUs to the list of those that can be used for GPU acceleration of ray-traced 3D rendering.

Details are here: http://adobe.ly/AE1102

Note that one of the changes is the addition of a new Memory & Multiprocessing preference and an adjustment to memory handling on Mac OS to alleviate the problem seen when getting the message “After Effects error: RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback”.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2014 Aug 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam

I did the tests, the problem appeared even without the use of plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue with 16 mb used of my 16 gb of cache space. I'm using CC 2014 on Win 7. This is the first time I've seen this error and it's constant. I'm not using any effects, just adding sound to an animation, and I had pretty much already tried all the suggestions in this thread. Will there be a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such a nebulous issue, each one of you should probably have your own threads because the issue is likely different for each of you. It may be the same, but we don't have enough info to figure it out.

Tell us absolutely everything you can about your computer: its specs, exact version numbers of software and OS, security/anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall software and settings, third-party codecs installed, other software installed, and ANYTHING else you can think of about your machine.

Then tell us everything you can about your project: format and codec of any footage, any other assets involved, how many layers, what effects are being used, what third-party plugins and scripts you have installed, and ANYTHING else you can think of about your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is:

Win 7 64 SP1 (6.1 Build 7601)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost (x2 Sli) w/4g DDR 5

16 g Ram

Intel i5-2310 Quad @ 3.2 Ghz

Gigabyte Mobo

Really it's built exclusively for my editing bay. I don't have any 3rd party codecs or plugins installed currently, and aside from the Creative Cloud software I have VLC player, MS Office, running Advanced System Care (free version) for protection although it's currently not even hooked up to the internet. Really that's about it. It's bare bones exclusivity to the Adobe suite and has been since it's inception a few months back. I update to CC 2014 and this error starts appearing. I'm currently using a template purchased from videohive for a project, and it consists of comps built from an earlier version (10?) of AE without any 3rd party plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ucanreachpaul@hotmail.com wrote:

. I update to CC 2014 and this error starts appearing.

So it worked fine in version 12, but version 13 is messing up? If so, I suggest working in version 12 until the update for version 13 comes out ("soon" according to Adobe - before the month is out). This update fixes a few big bugs regarding RAM preview issues. You could be running into this issue: warning “RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames” after scrubbing audio in After Effects CC 2014 (13.0)

For the record, if you're just adding sound, I'd suggest doing that in Premiere. It's way better for working with audio than AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks exactly like the issue I've been having. Thanks so much. FYI I normally would do exactly that but doing animation generally requires audio to be handled (and scrubbed heavily)  in After Effects when doing things like lip synching, which is why I was in the habit of that. Fortunately for this animation there isn't direct puppetry and so I'm simply using sound effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ucanreachpaul@hotmail.com wrote:

I normally would do exactly that but doing animation generally requires audio to be handled (and scrubbed heavily)  in After Effects when doing things like lip synching, which is why I was in the habit of that.

Actually, I rarely use audio scrubbing for that kind of thing. I almost always use the audio preview (pressing . on the number pad) and then laying markers during playback if need be (pressing * on the number pad) and/or looking at the waveform (press LL while your audio layer is selected).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , how can I reset my preferences for after effects ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , how can I reset my preferences for after effects ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=reset+preferences+after+effects Google even pulls the relevant information out for you without you even having to click a link!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here we are... 2016 and this issue still there. Latest AE 2015 CC running on El Capitan with plenty of memory, and it still goes there even with the simplest of the projects. Purging sometimes work, but not always. Rebooting AE sometimes work, but not always. Arg...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue today. I was able to fix it by assigning After Effects more memory in preferences -> 13GB for AE...I also installed a memory management app "Memory Clean" free in the app store for Mac OS El Capitan. I haven't had this issue again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash forward to 2018 (CC 2017) and this error has gotten much worse. I hope After Effects will have a functioning playback one day. Don't mean to sound so spoiled, but playback is such an essential part of animation. I wonder if Adobe Animate has this issue. Someone make a playback plugin, that has a functioning playback please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AE-Motion  wrote

Flash forward to 2018 (CC 2017) and this error has gotten much worse. I hope After Effects will have a functioning playback one day. Don't mean to sound so spoiled, but playback is such an essential part of animation. I wonder if Adobe Animate has this issue. Someone make a playback plugin, that has a functioning playback please.

The vast majority of people aren't experiencing this issue you are experiencing. SOMETHING is wrong, obviously, but we don't have enough information to help you try to figure out what it is.

I only get this message (on my Windows 7, Windows 10, and Mac OS Sierra machines) if I hit the preview initiation button too quickly so that it tries to start running through cached frames before it's had the chance to cache them or if the work area is too short. Is there a chance something is happening with your keyboard inputs that is making it trigger double or is your work area too short? Try just pressing the preview button in the preview panel to see if the issue occurs that way.

If that doesn't help, have you tried some of the other fixes suggested in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines