• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random blinking in a single shape layer with Repeater effect

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a simple dot pattern made in shape layer with Repeater effect. I am wondering if it is possible to apply expressions to make each dot to blink randomly? I found this expression 100*Math.sin(time*5) for the random blinking but have no idea how to apply it to the repeater shapes.

Thank you very much for your help

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

This cannot be done. In order for it to be controlled by expressions, each dot needs to exist separately and have a corresponding opacity property stream. You have to re-design your project and use other terchniques if that's really what you want. Dot patterns for instance can easily be made to blink in all manner of ways when using custom track mattes based on grid patterns on them, which are easy enough to control by using Card Dance or filtering and quantizing all sorts of effects to generate

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This cannot be done. In order for it to be controlled by expressions, each dot needs to exist separately and have a corresponding opacity property stream. You have to re-design your project and use other terchniques if that's really what you want. Dot patterns for instance can easily be made to blink in all manner of ways when using custom track mattes based on grid patterns on them, which are easy enough to control by using Card Dance or filtering and quantizing all sorts of effects to generate patterns and noises using a Mosaic effect. Even Fractal Noise already has a built in blocks mode already...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Mylenium I ended up edited my work flow and created the mosaic pattern using the effect Cell Pattern, then align my dots to the mosaic pattern and animate the evolution. Finally put the mosaic pattern on top of the dot pattern, turn on the luma track matte and voila!  The result is very nice! Thank you thank you thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium give you the best solution, technically the best way is to use custom track mattes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it is just a simple dot pattern I would use a text layer:

Then add an opacity animator and set that to be random. There's already a couple of random text animation presets that could get you started. The Text layer is going to render a lot faster than a shape layer with a lot of dots on it. This took me under 2 minutes using a cool font and adding a bit to the Random Fade Up Text animatiion preset.

random dots.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines