• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recommended RAM for AFX CC 2018 (Mac)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. Well, my late 2012 iMac is finally starting to choke on itself while using After Effects and have decided to buy the iMac Pro. I know that AFX very heavily relies on the video card, which I will be upgrading upon purchase, but I am wondering how much RAM I should purchase.

I was running 32 GB and never seemed to have many issues until now, but with the release of CC 2018 do you feel that more RAM is necessary at this point? I generally work in 1080p, but 4k is on the horizon, so that’s what I would like to prepare for.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Hi Pixel Alchemyst,

After Effects depends on both the GPU and the RAM, I would say that AE RAM is more important because all the previews are hosted there in principle. The GPU is more important, especially when Mercury Playback Engine acceleration is used for Ray-traced 3D, however, doing this also uses a lot of RAM. With 32GB of RAM you're fine because the latest version recommends using 16GB. But what I always recommend is that you install all the RAM that your pocket allows you to install or

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pixel Alchemyst,

After Effects depends on both the GPU and the RAM, I would say that AE RAM is more important because all the previews are hosted there in principle. The GPU is more important, especially when Mercury Playback Engine acceleration is used for Ray-traced 3D, however, doing this also uses a lot of RAM. With 32GB of RAM you're fine because the latest version recommends using 16GB. But what I always recommend is that you install all the RAM that your pocket allows you to install or that your computer supports. With AE, it's always better to get over RAM than you are lacking.

After Effects System Requirements

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank your for this. I’m having a mild heart attack after seeing the price of what this will cost me, but I do appreciate the advice.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines