• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recover a corrupted AE file

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was minutes from being done with my project and our apartment lost power. My save didn't finish and now my After Effects project won't open. I have an older version but it's about 6 hours of work behind(we obviously never expect this stuff).

Are there any ideas as to how I can recover my current file?

Attached is the error message I got. 

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

So, I actrually found a solution. I realized After Effects only auto-saves when you haven't manually saved and since I save pretty consistently, I dropped my autosave time frame down to every 5 minutes.

As for recovering my file, I rendered a full version of my project before the crash. This version got saved as a "tmpAEtoAMEProject" and I was able to import this save into my older save and essentially pick up where I left off.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you changed the default, you should have an auto-save project that's not more than fifteen minutes old in the Auto-Save folder right next to your After Effects project.  There should be several auto-save projects from oldests to newest in that folder.

Open the most recent auto-save project, do File > Save As and save it to the same location as the original file (you can over-write the original with the same name or version the project file - I usually go with versioning it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately my last auto save was on 9/3. I have the auto-save feature set up to save every 20 minutes but I am seeing next to that it says, 'Maximum Project Versions 5.' Do you think that is the problem? I only have 7 auto-saves in that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newest auto-save is usually the one that you want to open.

Another appraoch is to start a new After Effect project and import each auto-save in to it.  This will allow you to look through them and decide which one might be best to continue working from. 

You could also try copying the original AEP to a new location and try importing that into a new project.  It's a long shot, but could work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is with the autosaves. I have one but it's from 9/3. On that day I worked till about 8:30pm but the last autosave is marked at 5:40pm. Is there a reason there isn't a more recent autosave? I have it set to every 20 minutes. Shouldn't I have way more autosaves in my folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I actrually found a solution. I realized After Effects only auto-saves when you haven't manually saved and since I save pretty consistently, I dropped my autosave time frame down to every 5 minutes.

As for recovering my file, I rendered a full version of my project before the crash. This version got saved as a "tmpAEtoAMEProject" and I was able to import this save into my older save and essentially pick up where I left off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The auto-save should happen regardless of when you've saved.

Very resourceful loating the temp AE project that Media Encoder uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines